EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S.S. Banner discovered in bag of old uniforms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss

All I can say is thanks for posting this unique item and I really appreciate the detail of the story. It makes it all fun

Marty
    I love the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
      UNFORTUNATELY, TOO MANY THREADS ON THIS FORUM END UP WITH NASTINESS. FOR THAT REASON, THERE ARE A NUMBER OF ADVANCED COLLECTORS, MYSELF INCLUDED, WHO JUST DON'T WANT TO PUT THEMSELVES THROUGH THE GRIEF OF PLACING THEIR COLLECTION UP FOR RIDICULE FROM THOSE WITH LITTLE TO NO KNOWLEDGE, COLLECTION OR EVEN LIBRARY. IT IS THE SAME THING THAT KILLED G D C. SAD.
      Well said. I think you have touched on a very important subject Mr Coleman. Knowledge is one thing, but blind ignorance and unfounded criticism and immediate doubt at every turn is a real real turn off....why would anybody wish to put themselves, and for that matter, their property through that?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
        Whenever I saw the runes on that banner, one word came in to my mind.

ORIGINAL.
        Agree. No doubts. And great picture, Robin.

Guys, please do not pay attention to what "wh014d4394" says be above it

Comment

Banner.

What is the size of banner? I would question using wool for a large banner because if it were damp or wet, it would be very heavy. Cost-wise, wool also seems a poor choice for a large banner when linen or cotton would probably be MUCH cheaper. Just seems like an odd material for a large banner.

Comment

My one sided banner.

Mike....it's BIGGER than yours!

Then again everythings bigger in TEXAS!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robertdmountfor View Post
              Well said. I think you have touched on a very important subject Mr Coleman. Knowledge is one thing, but blind ignorance and unfounded criticism and immediate doubt at every turn is a real real turn off....why would anybody wish to put themselves, and for that matter, their property through that?
              Bob and Robert are spot on, civility and good manners seem to be some sort of luxury on the Internet where it should be a requirement.

G.D.C. was in effect KILLED by this sort of sand-box horseplay. The same thing will happen here unless there is a more postitve atmosphere.

Comment

Bob ..You’re right. But we have to also keep in mind that it’s so easy to misunderstand or misread a post ..then take things the wrong way and get insulted. If you don’t know who’s posting , it’s harder to read some posts in the right light. As soon as I asked Howard to post it , I knew the show would start but I didn’t care because I knew where it came from and that’s all that mattered to me. Posting reservations or questions on an item is one thing but , that first shot (post 16) was a little rougher than I expected though and accusing Howard of being a Liar was uncalled for .
                One thing is for sure ..I value my reputation and like Bob, Robin and so many of us . I would NEVER Jeopardize my name /reputation by lying about where I found these items. We’ve been at this for years (over 40 for me) …We have nothing to prove and no-one to impress at this point ..Myself ? I just want to enjoy the Hobby and other Collectors “Fellowship” ..life's too short<O</O
                Too bad some of our “Saintly” dealers didn’t feel this way <O></O>
                Ok ..Nobody wants enemies so we’ll drop that and move on…still friends right ?
                <O</O
                Now the NEWS --<O</O
                I checked out the Bag ..There’s only one Ike, one WW2 US Flag and 2 1980’s? Marine Uniforms/pants/caps ..and a plastic bag with ANOTHER NAZI BANNER !!!!!<O</O
                I don’t know what to say here guys …maybe that’s all that was left of Dad’s WW2 stuff and the Marine Uniforms belonged to another Family member ? I don’t even recognize the name in the Uniforms. <O</O
                Now the question is …could these have been a set of Podium Banners that some GI grabbed? ..the style is different.<O</O
                Here’s the Party Banner --
                I draped it over a door so 5 inches or so don't show
                Attached Files

Comment

After thinking it over …I’ve decided to stuff everything back in that bag , and put it back out on the porch for the night.<O</O
                  I want to see if any more Nazi stuff shows up in the morning ..this could be a “Santa” type magic bag.<O</O
                  I like finding stuff this way <O</O
                  Last edited by Mike P.; 03-13-2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Mike if you would have told me about these magic bags when I talked to you a few days ago I would have jumped on the next flight to help you spring clean. Some guys have all the luck.

Comment

Nick ..I feel like a jerk , I mean ..I'm sure I thanked whoever gave it to me. I normally offer to pay people something and many refuse to take anything (like that D-Day + group with the orig cricket ..he wouldn't take a dime)
                      But they didn't tell me Nazi items were in the bag or I would have ripped it open in front of them.
                      And then to leave it on the back porch for years ??
                      All's well I guess because they were not damaged ...lucky they weren't 'cause I'd be sick right now.
                      Tomorrow morning ..if the "Magic Bag" works and there's more stuff ...maybe we can share it and pass it around. Every Collector gets to borrow it for a night

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
                        My one sided banner.

Mike....it's BIGGER than yours!

Then again everythings bigger in TEXAS!
                        no comment

Comment

I Have A Photo Album Presented To Himmler By Fritz Freitag Commemorating The Graduation Of The Galacia Division From Basic Training. In The Hall Hosting Their Graduation Dinner
                          Are Similar Wall Banners. One Photo Clearly Shows Corner Nountings Of The Banner, Which Would Likely Indicate Grommets. I Presume Grommets Would Be Used On A One Sided Wall Hanging To Facilitate Mounting And Removal Of The Item From The Wall.
                          It's A Little Early For Santa To Fill Your Bag. Put Out Some Carrots. It Is Almost Time For The Easter Bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                            I Have A Photo Album Presented To Himmler By Fritz Freitag Commemorating The Graduation Of The Galacia Division From Basic Training. In The Hall Hosting Their Graduation Dinner
                            Are Similar Wall Banners. One Photo Clearly Shows Corner Nountings Of The Banner, Which Would Likely Indicate Grommets. I Presume Grommets Would Be Used On A One Sided Wall Hanging To Facilitate Mounting And Removal Of The Item From The Wall.
                            It's A Little Early For Santa To Fill Your Bag. Put Out Some Carrots. It Is Almost Time For The Easter Bunny.

Hello Bob,

Sounds like a great photo album!

Do you have the means to scan & post any of the photos from the album?

Thanks,
                            Howard

P.S. If I'm not mistaken....Peter Rabbit was a German Bunny!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Howard Kelley; 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

After thinking it over …I’ve decided to stuff everything back in that bag , and put it back out on the porch for the night.<o>></o>>
                              I want to see if any more Nazi stuff shows up in the morning ..this could be a “Santa” type magic bag.<o>></o>>
                              I like finding stuff this way <o>></o>>

Good luck. I've been trying to kick-start a breeding program for my TR militaria for ages. Sure, there has been some funny business now and then between the various Stalhelms (a little bit of Barry White always helps, by the way )... but no offspring yet.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention, great flag, er, banner, er... expensive piece of cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
                                Hello Bob,

Sounds like a great photo album!

Do you have the means to scan & post any of the photos from the album?

Thanks,
                                Howard

P.S. If I'm not mistaken....Peter Rabbit was a German Bunny!
                                ONE OF THESE DAYS I AM GOING TO MASTER MY SCANNER. I THINK THE ALBUM IS HISTORICAL ENOUGH TO RATE IT'S OWN THREAD. IT WAS BROUGHT BACK BY A GI WHO WAS QUARTERED IN HIMMLER'S SUMMER HOUSE IN THE OBERSALZBURG. HE ALSO SHIPPED HOME A FIVE PIECE PATIO CHAIR AND TABLE SET, WHICH WERE MADE OF HEAVY ALUMINUM. UNFORTUNATELY, HIS KIDS DESTROYED EVERYTHING BUT ONE CHAIR, WHICH I ALSO OWN. I ALSO GOT A PICTURE FROM STARS AND STRIPES PICTURING HIM AND SOME OF HIS MATES LISTENING TO THE SURRENDER ANNOUNCEMENT ON HIMMLER'S RADIO.
                                ACTUALLY, I HAVE TO CONFESS THAT I FOUND THIS IN THE SAME ANTIQUE SHOP IN CHESTERFIELD SHORTLY AFTER MIKE HAD BEEN THERE. A SHOT OF THE COVER AND DEDICATION. HOWARD, I HOPE THIS IS NOT TAKING THE THREAD OFF COURSE.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X