EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S.S. Banner discovered in bag of old uniforms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken B. View Post

I guess that is in reference to frame #54.

thats soooo bad Kris
    Ken,

Well it has to be worth as much as Monica Lewinsky's dress. Haaaaaaaaaa!

Comment

That White Spot is a Spider Nest
      you kids today ..I'll tell ya

..leave it to you Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Mike P. View Post
        That White Spot is a Spider Nest
        you kids today ..I'll tell ya

..leave it to you Kris
        Sorry Mike!! I guess I watch too much CSI, thought you might have a DNA match to a Knights Cross Holder there!!

I am gonna keel over here from laughing, have a good night and a great find my friend!!

Best,

Kris

Comment

Photo Album

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
          Bob,
          The leatherwork on the cover and the hand lettering in the album is just unbelievable! Nice seeing you at SOS!
          Regards, Peter

Comment

Talk about a one of a kind ..Bob , that Book is unbelievable and does deserve it’s own Thread.<O</O
            It’s wonderful that we can share our items ..But you should somehow watermark each page you post to ensure that your pictures can’t be copied and used without your permission ..like what happened with my Diplomatic Plessen ID.<O</O
            <O</O
            BEFORE EVER POSTING THE ALBUM, I NEED THE SERVICES OF A COMPUTER GURU WHO CAN INSURE TO ME THAT THE PHOTOS CANNOT HAVE THE WATERMARK REMOVED. THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN BY A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER. I LOANED A FEW TO MARK YERGER A FEW YEARS BACK FOR HIS BOOK ON SS GENERAL OFFICERS. THEY CAN BE SEEN IN THE FRITZ FREITAG SECTION.
            MIKE, SORRY I IGNORED YOU IN THE SHOP. I DID NOT WANT YOU TO SEE THE THIRD BAG THE DEALER FORGOT ABOUT WITH THE ALBUM AND THE HITLER VISOR CAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
              Bob,
              The leatherwork on the cover and the hand lettering in the album is just unbelievable! Nice seeing you at SOS!
              Regards, Peter
              PETER-
              IT WAS GOOD TO SEE YOU ALSO. SOS IS MY ONLY FOR CERTAIN SHOW. I GUESS I WILL SEE YOU THERE NEXT YEAR.

Comment

I LOVE IT !! AH Visor ??(good one Bob ) Yes ...I don't blame you for making sure the pics are safe before you post. That book is special and you deserve the credit for being its caretaker.
                I wish I could find out more about this Banner .
                Here's a pic of the back Rune stitching . Tony S mentioned earlier that it could have been made by a local seamstress rather than a Factory made item ...I think he may have a valid point. It is well made but ..you can see how the stitching is heavy and not completely straight .
                Have any of you run into this style stitching before ?

To tell you the truth , at first I thought this was along the lines of the Balkan Cross ID Flag used on Vehicles. Thing is , I don't remember ever seeing an SS Vehicle ID banner . But after seeing the 2 tone quality fabric and the nap ...there's no doubt it was not meant for being left outdoors or putting up with field abuse.
                I've been trying to find a photo of another 4-grommet banner like this but except for the one in Bob's Book ...I'm not having any luck.
                Attached Files

Comment

again , 2 tone effect
                  Attached Files

Comment

I LOVE IT !! AH Visor ??(good one Bob ) Yes ...I don't blame you for making sure the pics are safe before you post. That book is special and you deserve the credit for being its caretaker.
                    I wish I could find out more about this Banner .
                    Here's a pic of the back Rune stitching . Tony S mentioned earlier that it could have been made by a local seamstress rather than a Factory made item ...I think he may have a valid point. It is well made but ..you can see how the stitching is heavy and not completely straight .
                    Have any of you run into this style stitching before ?

To tell you the truth , at first I thought this was along the lines of the Balkan Cross ID Flag used on Vehicles. Thing is , I don't remember ever seeing an SS Vehicle ID banner . But after seeing the 2 tone quality fabric and the nap ...there's no doubt it was not meant for being left outdoors or putting up with field abuse.
                    I've been trying to find a photo of another 4-grommet banner like this but except for the one in Bob's Book ...I'm not having any luck.
                    There were many home made items, I had a Jungvolk trumpet banner that was no doubt home made, totally legitimate piece and I have seen others as well.

You can also see many odd items from the Munich art parades and such that take an almost mid-evil look and manufacture, I think many good items are discounted too easily with off the cuff remarks by people who have read some books but have failed to handle pieces.

When looking at pieces you need to use your head and be cautious, but no need to jump immediately over grommets or whatever, it is a study as much as it is a hobby.

As far as watermarks that cant be removed? I am not sure what is involved but I would certainly like to see other pictures and I am actually curious about the furniture and other oddball items that may be out there.

Best,

Kris

Comment

In A Perfect World, The Banner Would Have A Cloth Rzm Tag And Manufacturer Coded. In The Real World, Which Many Collectors(especially Newer Ones)don't Understand That When Something Was Needed Right Now, There Was Not Always Time To Go Through Channels. Locally Made Items Are Not A Feasability But A Reality.

Comment

again , 2 tone effect
                        The grommet looks steel and slightly rusty. Is that the case? I thought I read earlier in the thread that steel would be ok?

Bob, If you post that album, I think it should also go right into the virtual museum! Please post a link in this thread if you make a new one so I can find it!

Best, Sal

Comment

Originally posted by robertdmountfor View Post
                          Well said. I think you have touched on a very important subject Mr Coleman. Knowledge is one thing, but blind ignorance and unfounded criticism and immediate doubt at every turn is a real real turn off....why would anybody wish to put themselves, and for that matter, their property through that?
                          Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                          UNFORTUNATELY, TOO MANY THREADS ON THIS FORUM END UP WITH NASTINESS. FOR THAT REASON, THERE ARE A NUMBER OF ADVANCED COLLECTORS, MYSELF INCLUDED, WHO JUST DON'T WANT TO PUT THEMSELVES THROUGH THE GRIEF OF PLACING THEIR COLLECTION UP FOR RIDICULE FROM THOSE WITH LITTLE TO NO KNOWLEDGE, COLLECTION OR EVEN LIBRARY. IT IS THE SAME THING THAT KILLED G D C. SAD.
                          Robert and Bob,

Collecting TR militaria is truly a double-edged sword. In a world of 50 years of fakes, phoneys, reproductions, and "modified" trinkets being pawned off every day as "collectibles", the fellows that have the courage to stand up, take the the time to post pictures of their authentic and genuine TR period items, offer a little educational background about their post, and take a stand against this kind of attack through unquestionable reasoning and/or through providing concrete factual evidence, in my opinion . . . are the only fellows that are going to keep the collecting interesting and alive.

If we all live in fear of criticism, and don't take the time to educate ourselves in how to properly handle such criticism, then none of us are ever going to see what really exists out there, or get an opportunity to share something new with each other - at least not through this or any other website.

I pity the people that have all of these wonderful things to share and choose to live in fear of ridicule and criticism, but at the same time, I also loath the fact that these same people in their fear continue to stagnate the spirit of collecting in hiding. Why hide? If you have something genuine to share, why not show it? We all agree that a true "one looker" is pretty obvious to spot, and if something you post at first appears outlandish to some, maybe after a little further explanation, you might even enlighten the ignorant a little at the same time?

If what really killed GDC is this fear of criticism that created a lack of enthusiasm to participate, why continue to carry the angst over to here? To all of you "Advanced Collectors", please keep the spirit of collecting alive - take some time to put your fear of ignorant criticism in check, learn how to let it go, and bring to all of us your vast knowledge and collections - enough of us around here care enough not to give ignorance undeserved attention . . .

What say you Bob and all of you other "Advanced Collectors"? Let's see some more of these Advanced Collections you speak of . . .

Brad

Comment

Mike,
                            Great lucky find!! I on the other hand have the luck of Charlie Brown. If I found a"forgotten bag" on my back porch, it would contain one of the following; a rock, or someones lunch! Perhaps both!!!

I can see the different nap of the wool on the front & back of your fotos. I know nothing about German WW2 Fahne. I owned an original Kreigs Fahne that was made out of a light wool very consistent with the material your is. On the other hand, I also purchased a double sided marked SS Lager Fahne with material consisent to the Kriegs Fahne and it got blasted with both barrels on the GDC a few years back. I still have it, rolled up in a ball somewhere.

I hope your turns out to be original!! Überkool indeed!

Sepp

Comment

Brad-
                              I Post A Great Deal Of My Collection-just Not S S Material. I Certainly Do Not Consider Myself An Advance S S Collector. I Think Back To The Days Over At G D C, Where Some Of The More Noted Names In Collecting S S Material Would Post And Share, Only To Have Know Nothings Disparage Their Knowledge. I Am Sure You Can Think Of Some Of The Big Names In S S Collecting.
                              Except For Bob Hritz, You Do Not See Posts From These Serious Collectors. They Don't Need The Forums-the Forums Needs Them. Unfortunately, S S Collecting Seems To Attract A Certain Faction With A Mean Streak. I Cannot Fault Anyone For Not Having To Put Themselves Or Their Treasures Through Indiscriminate Comments Based Upon A Total Lack Of Knowledge.

Comment

Bob, that has to be the SWEETEST Galicia division item EVER! Thank you very much for sharing the photos and posting the cover!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X