Bamberger Reiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bamberger Reiter

I found this fine piece of Rosenthal porcelain on eBay............
    Attached Files

It's the Bamberger Reiter, from Bamberg Cathedral. The original dates from the middle ages. I saw this statue a couple of years ago, and it's something to behold.
    Attached Files

Comment

Scholars have argued for centuries about who the statue was meant to depict.

Some thought it was Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor. Others thought another Hohenstaufen ruler.

Some say the statue is of a saint, others that it shows the dominance of man (the figure) over animals (the horse), and of animals over nature (there's a vegetable-like 'Green Man' at the base, beneath the horse's feet).

The Nazis said the statue represented the Aryan man, looking east for new lands to conquer.

Heinrich Himmler believed that the statue depicted Heinrich I (Henry the Fowler), first King of the Germans, buried at Quedlinburg. Himmler thought he was the spiritual reincarnation of the King, and liked to be called 'King Heinrich' by his closest friends.

An SS booklet shows this figure, with the wording 'Eternity of the Reich'.

Just some useless information for a quiet Friday evening.
      Attached Files

Comment

Statue

Looks more like a younger, thinner Stallone.

Comment

Robin you have excellent taste in your collecting. Very nice and interesting piece.

Comment

The only and one original so called "Bamberger Reiter" in the "Dom zu Bamberg".
            A real piece of culture from germany, done before 1237 with alot of secrets that are still unknown. The place where the "Reiter" is still to see and is original one.
            It is much worth to visit this place in germany when you are around this city. I stoped to count how often I went to the Dom zu Bamberg.

http://www.historisches-franken.de/bamreiter/reiter02.htm
            http://www.sherwoodonline.de/bamberg/cathedral.html

Also see this statue connected to the Bamberger Kav. Reg. 17

Comment

Robin

Robin, please wrap it in bubble wrap, use plenty of foam peanuts and use my business address. Thanks Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                Robin you have excellent taste in your collecting.
                Thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Robin, please wrap it in bubble wrap, use plenty of foam peanuts and use my business address. Thanks Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                    The only and one original so called "Bamberger Reiter" in the "Dom zu Bamberg".
                    A real piece of culture from germany, done before 1237 with alot of secrets that are still unknown. The place where the "Reiter" is still to see and is original one.
                    It is much worth to visit this place in germany when you are around this city. I stoped to count how often I went to the Dom zu Bamberg.

http://www.historisches-franken.de/bamreiter/reiter02.htm
                    http://www.sherwoodonline.de/bamberg/cathedral.html

Also see this statue connected to the Bamberger Kav. Reg. 17
                    Robert.
                    Bamberg is one of the nicest places I have ever visited in Germany.
                    A real 'hidden treasure'.

Comment

robin- beautiful- this viasge is the same one on the quedlinberg tinnie, correct?

Comment

agree with john pic - I'm again grateful for the knowledge from constable lumsden. and thanks robert as well. I made it to rothenburg o/d tauber but missed bamburg - on two separate trips!

Comment

Rothenburg o.d.T. is just 20 min away from my origin. hometown and my wife was born there.

Comment

Someday I will return to see them all again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinland View Post
                              robin- beautiful- this viasge is the same one on the quedlinberg tinnie, correct?
                              Yes, to a point. The tinnie shows Henrich I, and Himmler always believed the Bamberger Reiter to be Heinrich I as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X