SS Collar Tabs - real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Collar Tabs - real

I was in Thessanloniki Greece and visited their War Museum and they had a small collection of TR items but what struck me as odd is this set of collar tabs, the rungs appear to be made if metal. I have only seen them emboddered. Are they for the dress uniform?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by z06berlin
    I was in Thessanloniki Greece and visited their War Museum and they had a small collection of TR items but what struck me as odd is this set of collar tabs, the rungs appear to be made if metal. I have only seen them emboddered. Are they for the dress uniform?
    Wow, those are some real ugly tabs. Worst fakes I have ever seen.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

They must be real, they're in a museum!

Comment

Be careful Brad... Some here can't stand it that collectors criticise the fact that museums display fakes...
        95% of the visitors don't recognize the difference anyway they say...
        What if we collectors would start paying the expensive entrance to these museums with fake money... Now, that would be fair, wouldn't it?

I don't like the tabs as well by the way...

Kind regards,
        Gerd V

Originally posted by bwanek1
        They must be real, they're in a museum!
        Last edited by willysproject; 08-13-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

There were metal runic tabs. But, they didn't look anything like this. I believe there are some still on the e-stand.

Comment

looks bad
            A pitty museums use fakes
            I would prefere they throw them away and simply use a few good photos instead!
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by willysproject

What if we collectors would start paying the expensive entrance to these museums with fake money... Now, that would be fair, wouldn't it?
              Kind regards,
              Gerd V

Comment

I can see why museums would use fakes. They want to be able to show people something other than photos, but they should not misrepresent what they're showing. If it's a replica, then label it such so that visitors know that it is a representation, and not the real thing.

Bob

BTW, these collar tabs are really bad. You can buy decent reproductions that are superior to these and fairly inexpensively.

Comment

SS Rungs

I had a feeling that they were fake and there was a couple of other badge/medals that look fake also. But entre into the museum is free as it is part of the military base.

Comment

Unfortunately sometimes it is not only just to show a thing they would not have real. Sometimes some nice guys switch originals for cheap repros
                    The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Pilfering is very high in museums. I heard a story long ago about U.S. Army museums. Before they created a museum system with dedicated and qualified people to run them, they used to just them in charge of some young officer and the soldiers that nobody wanted were sent there to keep the place clean. One young officer was a collector of WW1 U.S. uniforms and he made reproductions of each one in the museum and took the originals. They did catch up to him eventually but that kind of thing happens all the time in museums.

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X