• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Are The Skull Experts??

....in the pub no doubt!!

Come on skull experts!!! Give a or a

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=118714

You don't need to be an expert ..... or for that matter goaded into giving an answer ... on this relic-condition skull. Clearly ground-dug,the only questions are when was it put into the ground and what were the circumstances of it's excavation.

Personally it's of no interest what-so-ever.

Ian.

Comment

Please do not create multiple threads for the same question simply to draw greater attention. That will have the opposite effect from that which you desire (people will become annoyed and unwilling to help you)! If you feel the need to prompt people to respond, simply add a response to your original thread; that will bump it to the top and may achieve the results you desire without filling the forum with bogus threads that simply link back to other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by redfaced
        ....in the pub no doubt!!

Come on skull experts!!! Give a or a

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=118714

I don't know if this was aimed at me, but I've been away on some well-earned holidays in Bavaria for the last 10 days.

Oh - and I'm not a performing monkey.

Comment

Bayern

Dear Colleague, do tell us of what you saw in Bayern, especially as concerns regalia. In former times, there was a hub of such things in Munich and its environs towards Rosenheim and the like.

Comment

Donald.

As well as all the 'usual' sights in Munich, I took a trip out to see the new exhibition centre at the Obersalzberg, which was very well done. The tunnel system beneath the Berghof etc. is something to behold. It wasn't open to the public the last time I was across there.

I also took in a lot of the other 'bergs' - Nuernberg, Landsberg and so on. The best 'berg' of the lot though was Bamberg. That town must be one of the best kept secret gems in the country. A veritable treasure trove of Mediaeval eye candy. Coincidentally, I visited the Dom on a Sunday morning, when one of the services was in full swing, so I was able to see the Bamberger Reiter whilst accompanied by some stirring organ music, which all added to the atmosphere. Another nice thing about Bamberg was the little antique shop with all the Third Reich stuff on open display - swastikas and all - which I've never seen in the old country before.

As for SS stuff - nothing at all. A nice little Elastolin von Mackensen was all I came back with. Plus a few 'stone' souvenirs 'liberated' from the Berghof site, the Ehrentempeln and the Nuernberg Luitpoldhain. As they say, the best things in life are free!

Comment

Bayern

Dear Colleague, thanks for the account of your travels and our vicarious pleasure in your wanderings. The tunnels in the Obsersalzberg were formerly the property of the US Army, and while a Dept of the Army civilian in the early-1980s, I went into them. The Hotel Platterhof then was in use by our forces, and the entry was near the Aussenstelle of the Reichskanzlei which was still a ruin in 1982. I have not returned since and understand that the Platterhof was razed. Munich is a wonderful place, and such towns as Bamberg are as well. It was also a US garrison but I am not sure that it is any longer. Apropos Antiquitaetenlaeden, the III Reich has a different meaning in parts of Central Europe, to be sure such that one is less reluctant to discuss it---just like Winifried Wagner. However, I am unable to find relics in the kinds of place one was once able to do so. What little one can find is few and far between, and very expensive. As to the value of ruins, the word in stone, &c. I picked up a piece of the Speer'sche Zeppelinwiese in 1971, that is, not long after the collonade had been knocked down because of its lousy worksmanship. Did you go to the exhibition at the Kongresshalle in Nuremberg? Viel Sammlerglueck.
              Last edited by Donald Abenheim; 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Robin,

While you were in Bamberg, did you try the Rauchbier? Bamberg is one of the few places which still makes this "smoked beer." Lord, I miss Germany (lived there for three years and loved every minute)!

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
                  Did you go to the exhibition at the Kongreshalle in Nuremberg?
                  Yes. A fine and balanced exhibition it was too. I was lucky enough to visit the Platterhof the year before it was demolished by the Philistines.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1
                    While you were in Bamberg, did you try the Rauchbier?
                    Unfortunately, that must be about the only alcoholic beverage I missed out on over there!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X