griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffenfarbe opinions please- GJ or Panzer grenadier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post

Why are you saying that number 3 is SD ? At what point in the war did the SD wear regular Waffen SS shoulder straps with green piping ?

It is my understanding that they wore Police shoulder boards with inner cords being black or in the case of the lowest rank, all cords being black for SD as shown in the diagrams (from the Mollo books ?) below,

Chris
    agree the are not SD boards and imo ,alle what he has shown are Gj

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post

Why are you saying that number 3 is SD ? At what point in the war did the SD wear regular Waffen SS shoulder straps with green piping ?

It is my understanding that they wore Police shoulder boards with inner cords being black or in the case of the lowest rank, all cords being black for SD as shown in the diagrams (from the Mollo books ?) below,

Chris
      Hi Chris. I did not know that shoulder straps for SD are such a secret. From August 1941 to January 1942, SD employees wore shoulder straps as in waffen-ss with Polizei-Grun in waffenfarbe color. Police-style shoulder straps were introduced for wearing in the SD only in January 42.
      Here is what Mollo writes in his book on SD:
      At first members of the SD and Sipo wore the same badges of rank on the collar and shoulder as members of the General SS, but with the intro­duction of field-grey they began to wear army pattern shoulder straps which had already been adopted by the SS-Verfdgungstruppe.
      In August 1941 SD and Sipo members were reminded that they could only wear army/waffen-SS shoulder straps if they had police-green* piping.To prevent members of the SD and Sipo from being mistaken for members of the Waffen-SS, police pattern shoulder straps were introduced in January 1 942, for N.C.O's and men.

Untitled (6).jpg Untitled (2).jpg Untitled (3).jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled (5).jpg Untitled (4).jpg
      Last edited by Stive; 09-07-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

For comparison, the color of the waffenfarbe shoulder straps for SD samples of 41 and 42 years. 33 (2).JPG 33 (1).jpg

Comment

This is getting interesting and hopefully educational . Like Chris I've never heard of the S.D. sporting toxic green piping . I've got the Mollo book as well as well as the Brian . L . Davis book and an early wartime American book on German insignia recognition or at least what's left of it . The trouble seems to be in some cases the accuracy of the colour plates . Taking S.S. waffenfarbe out of the debate for now , as a rule of thumb I always believed that the dark shade of green signified Jager other than Panzer Jager which would be a lighter shade of green .

Comment

I agree with you. The color of the waffenfarbe for the mountain parts of the Wehrmacht and the mountain parts of the waffen-ss was called hellgrün. But this color, although translated from German as light green, in reality has a dark green color. waffenfarbe 002_559x768 (1).jpg

Comment

DSC05790.JPG DSC07989 - копия.JPG Comparison of shoulder strap GJ Heer Wehrmacht and shoulder strap GJ waffen-ss

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X