SS Officer Sleeve Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officer Sleeve Eagle

About 15 years ago, a friend of mine acquired an SS officer tunic, named to a high-ranking SS officer. It was made in Holland in 1940. The tunic is unquestionably original, as are the collar tabs and shoulder boards. The nametag also appears to be original to the tunic. My only question concerns the SS sleeve eagle. It is of a type I have never seen before, at least for a German made one. Perhaps it was made in Holland along with the tunic. It appears to be made from real silver wire, which is now tarnished. It also looks like it is the only eagle ever on the tunic. Has anyone ever seen a sleeve eagle like this before?
    Tom
    Attached Files

A very rare original Dutch-manufactured sleeve eagle in my opinion. There exist similarly constructed Heer eagles, which are tarnished in an equal manner. I will try to find some pictures of them. In the meantime, I would love to see some more pictures of your tunic.

Cees

Comment

A definate original and I have seen similar tarnished models on other tunics.Very nice.Here is a bullion one of similar construction and these can be found in period pictures.
      Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

John, are those type of eagles always local made and with non German regiments or divisions. Thankx Sonny

Comment

Sonny, I dont know, at first I thought Dutch, Belgian or French, because pictures of a few members of the DAS REICH division were wearing them but the division also was in the east prior to the time the photos I looked at were taken.There is also an LAH uniform in the Beaver books with one, an actual named tunic. Otto Weidinger had one on two of his tunics with slight variences.Ernst Krag as well. They could have been made anywhere.

Comment

What about this one?

If I may, I want to show you all this particular eagle and get your opinions on it as well. I was told by the seller that it came from the tunic of a Nordland volunteer, traded in 1945 by it's owner, who at the time was in a POW camp in Belgium, trading it for some item of need.

When I obtained it I took the seller for his word that it was either Dutch, Danish, or of Belgian manufacture as I knew it was not German made.

I bought it for a project I was working on, and when re-applying it, I followed it's prior stitching holes precisely while sewing it to the jacket I was restoring.

So I am quite curious what you all think as it has a number of similarities to those already shown.

Chuck
            Last edited by vonStubben; 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM.

Comment

None of these eagles were made in Denmark, so that will leave Belgium or The Netherlands as the place of manufacture.
              Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

Eagle .....

In my opinion the eagle sewn to the leather jacket is a fake ....... The reason I say this, is that I have one almost exactly the same on a battle re-enactment tunic of mine. David

Comment

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
                  In my opinion the eagle sewn to the leather jacket is a fake ....... The reason I say this, is that I have one almost exactly the same on a battle re-enactment tunic of mine. David
                  David,

Is it possible to see a picture of your eagle so that I can make a good educated decision as to mine being either real or fake?

Chuck

Comment

Ive never seen one like the one on the leather coat.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic
                      Sonny, I dont know, at first I thought Dutch, Belgian or French, because pictures of a few members of the DAS REICH division were wearing them but the division also was in the east prior to the time the photos I looked at were taken.There is also an LAH uniform in the Beaver books with one, an actual named tunic. Otto Weidinger had one on two of his tunics with slight variences.Ernst Krag as well. They could have been made anywhere.
                      Sorry for getting back late, thanks for your input John. Will take a look at the Krag and Weidinger books. Sonny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X