I saw those.. I guess an A+ for creativity

Comment

Someone liked it;

This item is out of stock

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
        Someone liked it;

This item is out of stock

Well I have to fess up. When I originally compared the eBay item with other Kriegs 7x50 beh tuna can binos (with serial numbers in a similar range) I recognised right away that the ocular assemblies of Kriegs 7x50 beh tuna can binos as compared with ocular assemblies with the binos with gasmask rubbers offered on eBay were completely different. So I thought, well maybe this is the real deal - experimental ... you all know the story. So with the 14 day return right in mind I pushed the Buy it Now button.

But immediately after buying I belatedly compared the oculars assemblies of the binos offered on eBay with the later beh 7x50 rubber mounted binos. Exact match. Zeiss gasmask rubber ocular eye guards forcibly married to a perfectly bog standard 7 x 50 beh rubber mounted bino ocular assembly.

The seller was perfectly gracious. He agreed to cancel the sale without a quibble. Stupid me I suppose.

Last edited by Michael Downey; 12-23-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Here is a close-up of the eBay item:
          Attached Files

Comment

Like you Michael, I thought I'd stumbled onto an experimental model until I saw the oculars were identical to all others of this type.

It says much for the seller that he was so gracious in cancelling. He too may have thought it special but it may merely be someone innocently trying to fit eyecups to a rubber armoured bino missing the rubber.

Comment

So before buying I compared the oculars assembly of the eBay item with the ocular assemblies of some similar serial numbered Kriegs 7 x 50 beh tuna can binos and they looked a lot different and smaller:

Attached Files
              Last edited by Michael Downey; 12-23-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

But what I should have compared the ocular assembly of the eBay item with the ocular assemblies of the later Kriegsmarine 7 x 50 beh rubber armoured bino. Both ocular assemblies were identical. A case of live and learn.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Michael Downey; 12-23-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Small wonder faker´s are out there. We all want to believe we find something amazing.

But then again, without that wish, we would never try, and never find, anything.
                  I like my trying even better than my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
                    Like you Michael, I thought I'd stumbled onto an experimental model until I saw the oculars were identical to all others of this type.

It says much for the seller that he was so gracious in cancelling. He too may have thought it special but it may merely be someone innocently trying to fit eyecups to a rubber armoured bino missing the rubber.

Yes indeed. Agree completely with all your comments.

Comment

Bit of a Frankenstein.
                      Attached Files

Comment

At least he doesn't have a screw loose.

Comment

Up for sale again, same description...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kriegsmari.../282300759074?

Michael

Comment

with gas mask oculars

Comment

Standard Leitz ocular lens with what loks like Zeiss gas mask type mounts for rubber eye cups attached to the standard leitz ocular mounts.
                              It makes no sense provides no advantage which is obvious to the user, at first glance looks good but this is as good as it gets.
                              It reminds me of one which turned up a few years ago. Someone had altered a fat 8x60 adjustment screws to allow the focus to be asjusted with the finer and thumb o the user.
                              This was described as being a "rare"example .... this leitz is also now " a rare example" in common with altered "fat" it makes no sense.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X