UDF 7x50 Binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDF 7x50 Binoculars

I got this optics in Slovenia and it contains a number on it, which you can see on the photo below. Everyone says, that this number belongs to a submarine, but to be honest, I have not detected it on any submarine binoculars. What do you think about it?
    It was in my family from the second world war. Do you know where I could find to which submarine it used to belong to?

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a Kriegsmarine inventory number but, unless it was from a specific submarine mentioned in an Allied report (like U 570) there's little chance of telling which boat it came from sadly.

Do you know how it came to be in your family or where (what port or yard) it came from? Sometimes a little detective work can help narrow things down.

Nice one to have though!

Comment

I am living in a town at the Austrian border, where the German army used to go through from the Balkans, towards the end of the war. They left here a lot of "equipment", because in this area there were the last battles with Partisans.

Comment

Seems like we'll never know - but be sure to look after it as they're very collectable now;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dienstglas...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Check out subs operating in the black sea. If any.
          But to match the number on an UDF to a specific uboat is difficult.

I got an UDF recently, alledgedly taken off a uboat in a specific danish harbour at a specific time.
          I found out there was only one german Uboat in that harbour at the time.

But even that does not make my bino the one from that uboat.
          Someone could have pilfered a UDF from a german storage, and later connecting it with the uboat in the harbour.

I even managed to find a report from a british army officer who was on the boat and almost got shot by drunk danish "resistance" fighters. He punched the leading hero, and took away his SMG. Only later to realise a bullet had cut off a strap on his leggings. May 9th. 1945 would be an extremely lousy day to get shot. ( okay, that goes for all days, I know)
          But no details on what he did to the surrendering sub. Or how a dane got the UDF.

Comment

I love the detail you're able to add Mike - May 9th. 1945 would indeed have been a bad day to die.

Reminds me of a programme I saw about the last few hours before the eleventh hour 11 Nov 1918 and the poor souls who died just before it...

Comment

I have googled today a little bit and found out where the nearest submarine base used to be. It was in Pula, Croatia. There were 4 submarines at the time, 2 of which sunk near Greece, 1 near Sicily and 1 near Pula, 9. 1. 1944. If these optics weren't brought from a storage, it maybe belonged to this specific submarine, because most of the crew survived. Moreover, probably those German soldiers did pass through Sovenia on their journey home.

Comment

I have googled today a little bit and found out where the nearest submarine base used to be. It was in Pula, Croatia. There were 4 submarines at the time, 2 of which sunk near Greece, 1 near Sicily and 1 near Pula, 9. 1. 1944. If these optics weren't brought from a storage, it maybe belonged to this specific submarine, because most of the crew survived. Moreover, probably those German soldiers did pass through Sovenia on their journey home.

Thank you all for your replies!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X