DF 10x80 - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DF 10x80 - question

Today I bought old DF 10x80 from manufacturer Schneider-Kreuzenach, serial number 4289. It will be from early series, as manufacturer code and lubricant symbols are missing. But interesting is recticle - small cross in big ring. I never seen this type in 10x80. Could anybody tell me something about this reticle?

Interesting is, that this flakglas has its own story. Seller said me, that this 10x80 was picked up near abandoned german train at the end of wwII, when Germans soldiers throwed of all things from train. It was in Plaňany, Central Bohemia. It seems, that it could be true story as I found on Web information about thistrain and photo.

Link to the fotos and story is below.
    http://valecnaoptika.rajce.idnes.cz/Flakglas_10x80/
    Last edited by Jan_67; 01-17-2016, 09:10 AM. Reason: link

I think it's a searchlight reticle - the second type used but still very early. I'm sure there's someone on here that will be able to give more info. Nice find!

Comment

You're right Sgt. Bilko, technically speaking this is no Flakglas but a Scheinwerferrichtungsweiser 38 with a second pattern reticle. Nice find indeed.

Comment

Scheinwerferrichtungsweiser 35

Comment

Dear nonfood, not really. Scheinwerferrichtungweiser 35's were only produced by Busch and Fuess. This 10x is a Schneider... You are right in that some of the Scheinwerferrichtungsweiser 35 encountered today have this reticle though. Fact is that these reticles were retrofitted on "35" models from February 1938 onwards, but were the standard reticle on the Scheinwerferrichtungsweiser 38, the sucessor of the 35.

Comment

Comment

Is the discontinued use for searchlight the reason, why many have 2 serial numbers?
              Searchlights were connected to radars in the latter part of the war. I suppose that made the bino´s for searchlights obsolete?
              So either removal, or replacement, of an older reticle was done during a general overhaul which resulted in a re-issue under a new serial number?
              I didn´t know there were 2 designs of reticles for searchlights.

Comment

Hi Mike,

As a matter a fact there were even more different reticles. The popular believe that radar meant the end for German optical guided fire control systems however is completely wrong, in a way it pushed the engineering of high power glasses even further. The two serial number thing has no relationship to radar or overhaul at all though. All going well, the manuscript of volume I of "Das Auge der Flak" will be ready in a month or two, we're working on it as fast as we can - I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit..

Comment

Very nice set, good find!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X