Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6X30 brown bakelite case

Hello

Here is a brown 6X30 bakelite case. There are some strange remains ... What did it happen with that case ?

Has it been repaired?

Carles

Comment

No, It has not been repaired. All metal parts are riveted and impossible to remove.

Comment

in my opinions nothing special, it's a kind of sealing. I have this on arround 40 cases.

Comment

Interesting benutzer. Could you show an exemple ?

Comment

Will make photos in the next days....at the moment we are painting our home new and so everythink is in boxes but it looks like yours.

Comment

Here are 2 photos from my black bakelite case. Do you find exactly the same "sealing" on your cases ? It looks like paint.

Comment

Hi, I think it's an kind of sealing but......... I have arround 180 bakelit case but I will look in a few days if I can live again normal

Comment

Could be a kind of rusting inhibitor, tar based.

That would make sense as rusting could be a problem with these. Rusting rivets leading to cracking bakelite.

There is a special type of galvanic rusting that may apply to this construction. Moist weather will do the job. Or sweat. Rain is not needed. And the corrosion will be concentrated inside the holes in the bakelite.

If so, the way the black stuff has been applied suggest field work.

And that, in turn, suggest that some kind of official note has been sent out to the Waffenmeisters, to carry out this maintenance whenever possible.
                  They received updates on equipment maintenance at short intervals.

I will not comment on how difficult it is for the rest of us, when one collector pile up 100+ bakelite cases, heh heh, but in this instant it does show that the procedure wasn´t a one only incident.
                  Last edited by Mikedenmark; 12-13-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your interesting opinion Mikedenmark.

For information, on my black case, the black stuff is only all around the rivets. I would say it has been applied during the manufacturing process.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X