rln + 8x30 Zeiss Dienstglas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rln + 8x30 Zeiss Dienstglas

Found these at a flea market today. I made out like a bandit at $20! These are extremely late war Zeiss/Jana Dienstglas, which appear to be unissued. They do have the artillery reticle. The left monocular is slightly hazy, but still useable. The right is perfect.

A few questions:

I am guessing the case is a civilian model case? Also, the eye cups are yellow. Are they military, or civilian eye cups? I have some replacements if they aren't military.

Jordan
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last photos
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice! I have recorded 12 serials, & yours is the 6th from a WHA member. You're about mid way into the serial range. (eg 2202xxx -2206xxx)

I think the case could be civilian. Not sure re filters. Without Seeger at hand, I think the 8x30 contract was 1942?

No matter what, a great find. Well done.
              Last edited by fieldgear; 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
                Found these at a flea market today. I made out like a bandit at $20! These are extremely late war Zeiss/Jana Dienstglas, which appear to be unissued. They do have the artillery reticle. The left monocular is slightly hazy, but still useable. The right is perfect.

A few questions:

I am guessing the case is a civilian model case? Also, the eye cups are yellow. Are they military, or civilian eye cups? I have some replacements if they aren't military.

Jordan

You have done well and a nice set to boot.

To answer your questions:

1. rln 8x30 binos are issued in both brown and black "civilian" style cases identical to yours. The brown case is encountered a bit more frequently than the black case.

2. Your eye cups appear yellow for the simple reason that the sun filters are attached to both oculars. You can simply pull the filters off (they are only a press fit) the oculars if you wish to obtain a clear field of view. Rather oddly rln 8x30 binos were issued with sun filters but the case had no pockets to store the filters. It seems that at the end of the war (and post-war) many exceptions to the rule are found.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. I am so happy to have such a nice and complete set of what sounds like, a scarce set of field glasses. I pulled off the sun filters...thank you for that advice!!

How does the condition of this set compare to other 8x30s in collections?

Jordan

Comment

Hi whatthecrunchyo,
                    your 8x30 Dienstglas are in very orginal condition so thats about as good as they get. Well done you!

Comment

as has been said.. all looks correct as it should. The 8x30 was a civilian and export model. The case has storage for the amber filters.
                      Some of these have a Carl Zeiss commercial left hand plate as well.
                      These rln 8x30's show up right at the end of production. Hence using up what was left of commercial and export contracts. Some cases have the E/Waa202 waffenampt. A great find.. Im in need of a set of these myself..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X