Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"V" shaped periscope optics...

Hi,
    These are French made, not sure for French use or made for German use or even if they were war period made.. any help with these would be appreciated.. thanks for your time...
    The optics are clear and 8 x 24 power.
    Van
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Van, the model that you have was made for for the German army hence the H/6400 designation. Originally they were made for the French army for viewing from an emplacement or armoured vehicle. See page 119 ,Rohan's A Guide to Hand Held Military Binoculars

Comment

Great, thanks for the info.. I had seen a picture of this style poking out of the cupola of an early Tiger 1...thought that was peculiar at the time but made since.
            Do you have any Idea what a fair price I should pay for these, I think the guy is looking for around a $1,000.00 for them, I thought that might be a bit high...
            Thanks again for the help..
            Van

Comment

Hi Van,
              most of the double periscopic devices sticking up out of WW2 German self propelled guns like StuG or Jagdpanzers were scherenfernrohre S.F.14 Z Gi (a 10x50 device) ,and these had specific turret fittings adapted for the SF 14 for use in these vehicles. It is of course possible for a handwinkel Fernrohr (Huet 8x24) to be used in such vehicles but it was not standard issue.
              You say the vendor is offering them for $1,000.00. Wow this is high!!! The Huet 8x24 are painted in sand colour - and there is a popular myth that all sand coloured optics are DAK issue .
              Seriously though, SF 14 Z Gi currently sell for about US$400, and IMHO a Huet 8x24 would sell for perhaps $150.00.

Comment

oops a double posting

Comment

Good grief!! $150.00 to $400.00, yow, thats a big difference... we will see... I am going to be talking to the gent tomorrow and find out...
                  Thanks Stew for all the info and help
                  Van

Comment

thanks Stew! Yep, a grand is way too much for these.
                    I have a period photo (not with me now) of a panzer grenadier using one of these on my website. Unfortunately, allyoucanupload.com is down right now and I haven't reupped them yet.

Anyway, the picture is of a panzergrenadier using a set of Huet 8x24 from the fighting compartment of a Sdkfz 251/10 mounting a 3,7cm gun. Probably a lot more compact than the SF for the smaller vehicle.

Comment

Found it.

Comment

I recently got a pair of these but the eyepieces are frozen and don't turn. I took all of the screws out of the adjusting rings and the rings spins freely but I can't figure out how to get the eyepieces off or even the adjusting ring. Anyone have any thoughts or advise??

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by hatrick View Post
                          I recently got a pair of these but the eyepieces are frozen and don't turn. I took all of the screws out of the adjusting rings and the rings spins freely but I can't figure out how to get the eyepieces off or even the adjusting ring. Anyone have any thoughts or advise??

Thanks...
                          The grease/oil is possibly dry. You might release a bit by heating with a hair dryer. If you manage to, then dismount and change the grease.

Carles

Comment

soak some tissue slightly in petrol/gasoline/benzin wrap the stuck parts in the wetted tissue, cover it all up with plastic and use rubber bands to keep it closed up. leave it alone a couple of days.
                            Chances are, the fumes will soften up the grease.
                            Be carefull not to cover more painted parts than neccesary.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X