Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Named U Boat Binoculars 7x 50's (with history)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named U Boat Binoculars 7x 50's (with history)

I was lucky to score this pair (optically perfect) a while ago. I have just recieved their history. (well after purchase and receipt of binos) They have that been there look, anyhow see below for the history:

HI Mike, I did get both sets from the estate of a fellow who was US combat Engineer. He worked at removing booby traps in the harbor and on the ships at Brest. He said the fat boy pair came off a sub chaser type craft that was sunk in the harbor, water line just up the decks. He found these on the bridge, which was very shot up and it explains the condition of my binos. The pair you got came from the sub pens, I think those my have seen some wolf pack duty. He said he wanted to send his brother and his Dad pairs of bino's for hunting back home in Oregon, he said the rumor was that the censors and MP's were opening all the boxes sent home by the GI's and stealing the contents. So he being a Engineer and had access to material and tools, he made up sturdy boxes that were metal lined and could not be xrayed. Anyway, he said he "borrowed" 13 pairs of Nazi binos in the time he was in Europe (and one Zeiss binocular microscope) and mailed all of them home, one at a time, hoping he would end up with a pair each for himself and his Dad and brother. When he got home 12 of the 13 were here waiting for him!(along with one MP-44 assault rifle that was in a false bottom of one of the boxes!) He was a really character and I knew him for years as he was a antique toy collector and gun collector. He would never part with these last two sets of binos and I know he never used them in the field or hunting. He felt these two pair were too heavy and they were always on a shelf in his gun room. Any sand or oil is clearly from their time in Europe and not from his use or abuse. They are today, just as they left France 65 years ago. Anyway, He passed away last spring and his daughter called me and finally sold me the binos after all the years that I had tried to get them from her dad. I gave the family a thousand for each set and they threw in some other german souvenirs he had. No, I did not get the MP-44, it was gone long ago. Anyway, I thought you would like to know where your binos came from and that they very likely served on a U boat. All the best, PY

As stated above the 'history' was not in the original description, so they where not purchased on that basis. Just a super nice bonus.

Mike
    Attached Files

--------------
    Attached Files

Comment

Name

Diificult to make out, but the original owners.
      Attached Files

Comment

lastly the gratuitous binos on KM flag shot!
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice set.

Mike that's a seriously nice set of Zeiss - top rubber caps look to be in great order , paint finish is good and minor splits on one objective is no big worry - love the colour.
          A nice chunky handful which will balance well on the finger tips - in common with the leitz ( rubber eye cupped) the set is very comfortable to use.
          If that is NZ dollars so you got them for a amazingly good price !
          They have found a good home with an owner who appreciates them.

Comment

Mike,
            Well done!

A nice pair of bino's in original condition and still even has the putty on the screw. Original paint, original rubbers and optically good, what more can you ask for! Even has a bit of history with them.
            All you need is to work out the name scratched on them and you can complete the known history.

Cheers,
            Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Dixon View Post
              Mike,
              Well done!

A nice pair of bino's in original condition and still even has the putty on the screw. Original paint, original rubbers and optically good, what more can you ask for! Even has a bit of history with them.
              All you need is to work out the name scratched on them and you can complete the known history.

Cheers,
              Brett
              Thanks Brett

As to the name, thats really difficult. They are clearly marked Ob. St???
              At least I know Ob. is the rank (Oberleutnant zur See or in English Senior-Lieutenant)

I have included a fiiddled with image via contrast/light etc on photoshop, any one who can clearly make it out? if someone can read the name, he can be researched for sure.

Also here is a link to the u-boat site re U-boat commanders etc:

http://uboat.net/men/

cheers

Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice glasses...I think that "name" scratched on is Ob. Strm...Obersteurmann,
                the M is Gothic.

Comment

Thanks for that, the rank would make him the 'Sergeant-Major or Quarter Master' equivalent rank in the K.M.

Very interesting.

cheers

Mike

found this on the web, re ranks etc

APPENDIX II
                  List of Crew of "U 434"
                  (i) Survivors :-

Name Rank English equivalent Age
                  Heyda, Wolfgang Kapit******228;nleutnant Lieutenant-Commander 28
                  Janus, Klaus Leutnant zur See Sub-Lieutenant 29
                  Oesterlen, Friedrich Leutnant (Ing.) Engineer Sub-Lieutenant 28
                  Rothe, Rudolf Obermaschinist Chief Mechanician, 1st Class 27
                  Kloss, Walter Obermaschinist Chief Mechanician, 1st Class 27
                  Lehn, Wilhelm Obersteurmann Chief Q.M., 1st Class 32
                  L******252;dtke, Paul Bootsmannsmaat Boatswain's Mate, 2nd Class 20
                  B******246;hm, Gerhard Bootsmannsmaat Boatswain's Mate, 2nd Class 25
                  Huffmeyer, Friedrich Bootsmannsmaat Boatswain's Mate, 2nd Class 31
                  Schwartz, Werner Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 24
                  Pfieffer, Erich Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 21
                  Hassler, Wilhelm Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 23
                  Leidig, Friedrich Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 23
                  Deeken, Anton Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 25
                  Gr******252;schow, Heinz Maschinenmaat Mechanician, 2nd Class 25
                  Kleemann, Ernst Mechanikersmaat P.O.Artificer, 2nd Class 21
                  Meinert, Rudi Matrosenobergefrieter Able Seaman 21
                  Fehr, Emil Matrosenobergefrieter Able Seaman 25
                  Schmidt, Gerhard Matrosenobergefrieter Able Seaman 25
                  J******228;ger, Heinrich Matrosenobergefrieter Able Seaman 22
                  Hasselroth, Wilhelm Funkobergefreiter Telegraphist 26
                  K******246;rnig, Kurt Mechanikerobergefreiter Artificer, 1st Class 20
                  Petzoldt, Gottfried Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 21
                  B******252;ttner, Egon Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 20
                  Hildenbrand, Karl Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 22
                  Unger, Rudolf Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 21
                  Koch, Johannes Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 19
                  Maslonka, Hans Matrosengefreiter Ord. seaman, 1st Class 20
                  Sallier, Walter Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 19
                  Conen, Herbert Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 20
                  Bothe, Karl-Heinz Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 21
                  Flemmig, Karl Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 19
                  Imfeld, Anton Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 21
                  M******246;lders, Walter Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 20
                  Stockmar, Kurt Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 18
                  Armborst, Bertold Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 20
                  Claas, Ernst Maschinengefreiter Stoker, 2nd Class 19
                  Braun, Ernst Funkgefreiter Ord. Telegraphist, 1st Class 21
                  Br******228;uner, Kurt Funkgefreiter Ord. Telegraphist, 1st Class 20
                  Wegner, Helmut Mechanikergefreiter Artificer, 2nd Class 21
                  Hannemann, Otto Mechanikergefreiter Artificer, 2nd Class 20
                  Zeller, Georg Matrose Stoker, 3rd Class 19

Officers 3
                  Chief and Petty Officers 13
                  Men 26

Total 42

Originally posted by aardvark View Post
                  Nice glasses...I think that "name" scratched on is Ob. Strm...Obersteurmann,
                  the M is Gothic.
                  Last edited by nzef1940; 03-04-2007, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                    I have searched high and low for a name to match the markings on the bino's and I feel that it is in fact not a name but the rank of Obersteuermann as mentioned above.

The rank of Obersteuermann was given to the U-boats navigator whos duties were navigation along with the provisioning of supplies. His official title therefore was Navigator and not Quarter Master as such.
                    Being the navigator he would of needed his own pair of binoculars so it makes perfect sense he would mark them as his.

To follow this up even more, you need to find out what U-boats were in the sub-pens at Brest after the war. If you find out the U-boat, then these belonged to the navigator on that boat. (if there was only one, or indeed if there was even any!)
                    The U-boat must have been there as it wouldn't have sailed without the navigator taking his bino's!

Cheers,
                    Brett

Comment

Thanks Brett

I also spent ages trying to google the potential name combo's with no luck. Yes the rank is the answer, but had no idea re the navigator component!

The glasses are becoming more interesting by the minute. I will try and find out what subs were in the Brest pens at wars end. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the additional info, its much apprecaited.

regards

Mike

Originally posted by Brett Dixon View Post
                      Hi Mike,
                      I have searched high and low for a name to match the markings on the bino's and I feel that it is in fact not a name but the rank of Obersteuermann as mentioned above.

The rank of Obersteuermann was given to the U-boats navigator whos duties were navigation along with the provisioning of supplies. His official title therefore was Navigator and not Quarter Master as such.
                      Being the navigator he would of needed his own pair of binoculars so it makes perfect sense he would mark them as his.

To follow this up even more, you need to find out what U-boats were in the sub-pens at Brest after the war. If you find out the U-boat, then these belonged to the navigator on that boat. (if there was only one, or indeed if there was even any!)
                      The U-boat must have been there as it wouldn't have sailed without the navigator taking his bino's!

Cheers,
                      Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X