a rather rare Zeiss 6x30 bino made for Czechoslovakia in 1922

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a rather rare Zeiss 6x30 bino made for Czechoslovakia in 1922

it was captured by Germans in 1939 and was either brought home or lost in 1945
    Attached Files

What does the (non CZ) markings say and mean?

Comment

Nice find! I have a WW1 version with the Austro Hungarian markings above the Zeiss logo (partly rubbed away), the RCS markings you have (I think it relates to the first post war Govt) and the more common Czech Lion and date.

Comment

the RCS means in my opinion Republica Czecho Slovakia

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Should it then not be RÄŒS?
            Republika Česko Slovenská

(But I am not sure if they used a such frivolous font? Or that short?

I am a happy owner of a 1937 Longines pilot watch, and ( as other equipment I have seen) it bears a script that translates to 'property of ....., Majetek Vojenske' Spra'vy
            But what do I know?)

Comment

I've a note of it somewhere but can assure you it's a genuine Czech military ownership marking (although it does look rather ornate). I suppose some people may regard the little lion as being ornate too - we (the Brits) just used big, clunky arrows.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCS

RCS may refer to:

First Czechoslovak Republic (Republic of Czechoslovakia), Czechoslovakia's official name between 1918 and 1920

If the logo was only in use between 1918 and 1920, it would be rarely seen. I also suspect the binocular shown is likely to be a 1920 bino later marked with the lion in 1922.

Comment

Good info. The symbol (?) between the 17 ....22, what is that?

On a side note, I have always wondered why the Brits used an arrow.

Comment

The symbol is the little lion I mentioned (it's clearer on brass binos). The British arrow (or pheon) ;

is a stylised representation of a metal arrowhead, comprising a tang and two barbs meeting at a point. It is a symbol used traditionally in heraldry, most notably in England, and later by the British government to mark government property. It became particularly associated with the Board of Ordnance, and later the War Department and the Ministry of Defence. It was exported to other parts of the British Empire, where it was used in similar official contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_arrow

We also marked convicts clothing with the arrow - tidy if unimaginative.

Comment

I assume the 1722 refers to the number of the bino.

twiggling with screen setting I can see the ferocious, proud, two tailed Lion!

BTW, the First Republic was between 1918 and 38, Second 38-39 and Third 45 -48.
                      Those names were started to be used later.
                      (Nobody then there thought that the country would thrown to the wolves and basically ordered to stand down by their pact members. )

Last edited by Lauritz; 08-11-2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

BTW, the First Republic was between 1918 and 38,

I'd read that too yet other places talk of the 1918 - 1920 RCS terminology (I think it's also shown in one of Seeger's books) and the few binoculars with it on seem to confirm it was a transition between the Austro Hungarian markings and the little lion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X