X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Hodgin
    Hi Steve and PAO,

Thanks for your comments. Please explain what you mean about the way it is sewn.
    John
    I would prefer to see it sewn with the "classic" Luftwaffe "zig-zag" stitch, and with heavy cotton thread. I know there are other styles equally valid, but I don't think this is one of them.
    Normally you get a "one-look" feeling with a sewn breast eagle ( just like looking at a nice camo helmet ). I am not getting that feeling

Come on John, spill the beans !

Regards,
    Steve

Comment

A general rambling comment:

When I was around ten years old I acquired my first Luftwaffe eagle. It came from the US veteran who brought it back. This veteran was in US Army intelligence and it was his job to rush into European towns and retrive any undestroyed German documents, if possible while the Germans were still vacating the town or position. Dangerous work! He brought a lot of very interesting militaria home. He was a childhood friend of my dad's, and simply gave me the Luftwaffe breast eagle along with some other nice pieces. I don't have that eagle anymore, and deeply regret this. Truth is, I don't know what happened to it; if it was lost or thrown out accidently by my mother when cleaning.

In any case, that eagle was backed with black wool like this one is. That eagle was crude appearing and ugly. If I had photos of it, and could post them here, most would likely consider it a fake. Like this eagle, it was for an HG Panzer wrapper.
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I would prefer to see it sewn with the "classic" Luftwaffe "zig-zag" stitch, and with heavy cotton thread. I know there are other styles equally valid, but I don't think this is one of them.
        John, this is what I was trying to say concerning the stiching. I dont own a wrapper but an original M43, Will try to get a shot of the eagle this weekend.

PAO

Comment

....... that eagle was backed with black wool like this one is. That eagle was crude appearing and ugly. If I had photos of it, and could post them here, most would likely consider it a fake. Like this eagle, it was for an HG Panzer wrapper.
          Can you really remember it that well John ? Was it identical ?

Nice story BTW.....we have all lost/swapped/sold original vet items when we were young...I know I have .
          Moral: Never trust your kids with valuables until they are the same age as you are now !

So do you like this one John ?

Regards,
          Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

I actually have fairly vivid memories of my first Luft. and Heer insignia; there were several breast eagles and some badges. And although I no longer have this particular Luft eagle, I still have an eagle from a Heer visor hat that was the very first piece I ever acquired! Though it isn't Luftwaffe, I am very attached to it I am rambling again

No, that Luft. eagle was not exactly like this one, it was very worn and less appealing. Looked more like a vulture than an eagle

The eagle in question looks exactly like smock eagles I am used to seeing. If you can post some of the eagles similar to this one on other backings that you mentioned, I'd like to see them! Until someone can convince me otherwise, I think this bird is authentic, and that the uniform it is on, which I have not seen, in incredibly rare.
            best,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Is it a private-purchase wrapper, or a general issue one ?

WRT the eagle style, you posted a tan one recently.

Regards, Steve

Comment

I remember I've seen pics of the particular wrapper and I really liked it (I'm 99% sure it was an issue one).

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the wrapper is stripped with just the eagle present. As you say John "incredibly rare", I wonder what an untouched one would go for? a small furtune? easily... IMHO this wrapper was overpriced but the dealer is known for that. I would wait for an untouched one myself.

Comment

I believe this wrapper has been in a private collection for years, so it is likely another you guys are talking about.

Steve, I love than tan backed eagle!

As for unsual sewing, I'll post this blouse eagle again, I believe this is a chain stitch, not a zig-zag.
                    Attached Files
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I believe this wrapper has been in a private collection for years, so it is likely another you guys are talking about.

Steve, I love than tan backed eagle!

As for unsual sewing, I'll post this blouse eagle again, I believe this is a chain stitch, not a zig-zag.
                      No John, not chain but rather a "T pattern" stitching and Big Kudos for you, it is identical sewing to the eagle in question. The sewing is Quite Uncommon, more found on SS clothing I would venture.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Hi John,

That fliegerblouse eagle may have been retro-fitted to an early jacket by the company taylor in 1940 when it became official to add eagles to pre-war blouses. If the wrapper is a private purchase piece then any style is possible.
                        Has Willi given you his opinion ?

Regards,
                        Steve

Comment

If I saw that eagle at a show, without being able to see the back, or to very closely inspect the garment that is was sewn to, I would pass on it. That does not mean it is bad, it just means I am a very conservative collector.

As for the zig-zag varaition. I still see these as a zig-zag stitch with the zig but not enough of the zag.

Here is a similiar stitch pattern on this smock eagle.

And, an odd eagle that is without a doubt, to me at least, original.
                          Attached Files
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Steve, the wrapper is a textbook issue example. Willi may have seen this wapper and it's eagle, but never at any show.

The wrapper was in George Petersen's collection for decades.

Anyone out there with experience with HG wrappers, or anyone with HG wrappers their collections?
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                              If I saw that eagle at a show, without being able to see the back, or to very closely inspect the garment that is was sewn to, I would pass on it. That does not mean it is bad, it just means I am a very conservative collector.

As for the zig-zag varaition. I still see these as a zig-zag stitch with the zig but not enough of the zag.

Here is a similiar stitch pattern on this smock eagle.

And, an odd eagle that is without a doubt, to me at least, original.
                              Willi,

I don't believe that the eagles you have shown are stitched as the one in question or John's example. Yours, particularly the top one, appear to be a "normal" zigzag stitch (all be it quite small). The eagle in question and the one John posted have distinctly different stitching from a zigzag stitch.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Steve, the wrapper is a textbook issue example.

The wrapper was in George Petersen's collection for decades.
                                If the eagle has been on it all this time I guess it must be genuine then. Congratulations to the owner !
                                John, is the wrapper made by known FJ smock maker ?
                                Regards,
                                Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X