Unknown bomb - real, fake, fantasy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown bomb - real, fake, fantasy?

I would welcome any thoughts of what this may be - what country, what period, if it is in fact a real item or just a fantasy piece. The item is 25" overall and weighs about 20 pounds. Constructed of steel (iron?) and wood which holds the fins. Maybe a practice bomb?
    Attached Files

British WW1 Cooper 20 pound aerial bomb.
    The bomb is made from steel and has four tail fins. The nose cone has a No 7 T fuze attached. A removable nose cone cover is screwed onto the nose. The bomb is painted brown and has a green and red band painted around the bomb casing. Markings - bomb casing - JC CO; 15.8.17. PAT 2 1/8/80/20. Markings - fuze - JC CO LTD 1917. Markings - nose cap - NO 7 T JC CO LTD 1917.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Having confirmed non fantasy...........................the question is...........is it filled and fused??

Regards

Comment

Good question. How do I determine that ....... safely?

Comment

I have no idea whatsoever, I was an Engineer but the stuff I did Mines etc were not from WW1 and tended to be reasonably new ( complete with "How to disarm" booklets et al.) Bomb disposal I was NOT. My engineer answer would be a large open field and a half stick of PE tucked on its head, not however, much use to some one who would like to preserve it.

Their may be some on here who have greater knowledge. A reasonably calm assessment of data on weight filled, versus empty may give some sort of indication, if you can find the data. After that god knows.

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X