US artillery knoleage required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US artillery knoleage required

Can someone identify what type of US shell produced this rectangular splinter? It is clear that the shell mussed have had "chocolat bar" streacks all over it; sort of like on a grenade. Has anyone ever heard of a type of shell with streaks like this? What caliber would it have been?

JL
    Attached Files

Actually this looks like a normal splinter shape for almost anything, even a bomb. I have seen probably close to 1000 shell fragments and they run the gamut for size and shape.

Gary
    Originally posted by Jean-Loup
    Can someone identify what type of US shell produced this rectangular splinter? It is clear that the shell mussed have had "chocolat bar" streacks all over it; sort of like on a grenade. Has anyone ever heard of a type of shell with streaks like this? What caliber would it have been?

JL

Comment

I believe it is an artillery shell because you can see that the part at the top of the picture here was for the copper belt. I have also seen many WW2 shells and shell splinters, and have never seen one with lines on it for extra fragmentation. A horizontal line is visible here, and the splinter fragmented following the vertical lines, thus the rectangular shape.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X