WW1 & WW2 Dug Ordnance Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 & WW2 Dug Ordnance Collection

WW1 & WW2 Dug Ordnance Collection mostly German recovered from Verdun and the Hürtgen Forest battlefields.
    Attached Files

Really nice assortment...and the condition isn't too bad either.

Comment

If you could please forgive an ignorant question from a complete newbie,
      How exactly does someone avoid hurting them collecting 'dug' ordnance? I know most things you'd buy at a show or from a dealer have a hole drilled so you can verify nothing explosive is in side. I was also under the impression that old shells and grenades got much less stable over time, making finding a random mortar in your garden a dangerous prospect.

There are some very impressive collections on this forum so I assume the collecting community has way of keeping this hobby safe.

I'm sorry if this a stupid question, but I only really know guns and edged weapons.

Comment

That's right Brad, its always interesting to see items however as an EOD guy myself, all of these items should not be moved. Tey should be immediately left in their place and reported. They are indeed hazardous to this day- or even more hazardous states sometimes!

I like how the fuses have been removed on the Rifle Grenades, what if there was exudation and crystallization in those fuse well threads? hmmmmm....and grenade fuses are probably the worst thing most of us hate! Rust or dirty and old doesn't mean theres not a cocked striker hanging inside on a hair or the detonator is not embedded with a stab sensitive striker, the same with a mortar....now rotate that grenade fuse out trying to be smart.....its as the South Africans in our EOD world say "taking chance"...

Chemical UXOs litter WW1 Battlefields and are another story...

Just leave it where it is and mark it and report!

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X