What is this ammo - PAK or FLAK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this ammo - PAK or FLAK?

Hi fellas, the new rectuit to the collection shelves... But what is it, PAK or FLAK?

The basse is marked eagle, 42, 85k, eej and *
    The round itself has avu1a 43 and WaA 13 or 73. There are traces of black paint on hte bullet, with a red ring in the lower part.

Looking on the bottom of the round, there is some white stuff - so it is tracer? /I know to be VERY careful! /. Must I attempt removing it, or just keep it as is? Also, is it explosive round, is there explosive inside it?

pictures:

The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

I would say it is a Flak round. That would be my guess.

Eric
    I once flew in a B-17, B-24, & a B-25. Next, I want to fire an 88 round.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodor
      Hi fellas, the new rectuit to the collection shelves... But what is it, PAK or FLAK?

The basse is marked eagle, 42, 85k, eej and *
      The round itself has avu1a 43 and WaA 13 or 73. There are traces of black paint on hte bullet, with a red ring in the lower part.

Looking on the bottom of the round, there is some white stuff - so it is tracer? /I know to be VERY careful! /. Must I attempt removing it, or just keep it as is? Also, is it explosive round, is there explosive inside it?

pictures:

Hi Theodor,

This is a 2 cm PAK round if I am correct. What I know of it is that the head do not contain explosives, but is a massive head. The red stripe means tracer. The white powder is for the tracer. Correct me if I am wrong. Nice

Greetings,

Frans

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Sowersby
        I would say it is a Flak round. That would be my guess.

Eric
        Looks like possibly a 20mm anti-aircraft flak round with a lacquered steel shell casing ....Also, perhaps someone filled it with an epoxy resin to render it inoperable...That might explain the whitish material at the base of the projectile....Bodes

Comment

Hi Theodor,

From my reference book:

2cm Pzgr. Patr L'spur
          In English AP (armoured piercing??) / Icendiary Shell, tracer.
          color of the band denotes the color of the tracer, in this case red.

Greets

Comment

Kris is correct, it is a 20 m/m AP (armoured piercing) with tracer compound in the base. I have one just like it in my collection. The HE flak rounds have a screw of aluminum fuse in the nose.Whe I get home this weekend, I will try and post some pictures of both.
            The tracer compound can be dangerous so be careful.
            Tom Nowling

Comment

It's a "2 cm Panzergranatpatrone Leuchtspur mit Zerleger", Armour Piercing, high explosive, tracer with selfdestructor.

THIS one, this TYPE, has no real (mechanic) fuze, it selfdestructs, when the tracer burns out.
              Other AP. shells can have fuzes...

It was shot by 2 cm Flak 30/38, this particular lot, by this factory was delivered to the navy, if i'm not mistaken.

If you bought it at a fair, it should be ampty.
              Just unscrew the tracercomponent, and have a look.

Tracer are difficult to get burning, but when they do, the burn fiercely for a few seconds.
              Just leave it as it is, unless regulation in you're country say's otherwise.

Comment

Thank you very much!!!! I expected that it is PAK, because it came with a lot, that belonged to a WW2 Bulgarian officer, captain from armor-destroying unit from the Armored Brigade. A tunic, a German head torch /shown it in the Equipment forum/, a bag of uniform buttons, a folder with quite interesting documents and... this round.
                It is not from a fair, some guys cleaned house or basement and brought the stuff to a seller that I know, and he called me... So, the round may be as well not emptied The case is empty, but the head may be... or not... Indeed better I'll leave it as is. Thanks!
                Last edited by Theodor; 02-22-2005, 03:08 PM.
                The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X