German WWI Practice Grenade: thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German WWI Practice Grenade: thoughts?

From time to time I get some really entertaining and good military things (non military too) at really good prices my local flea market, five minutes from my house. While I have acquired a variety of very nice US and French and British WWI and WWII (non practice type) grenades over the years, I have never before encountered an original German stick grenade (just a few replicas). But last week I picked up this German stick grenade for $10. I believe it to be a WWI practice grenade meant to have a small smoke charge to fully simulate the realistic operation of a grenade. I suspect the fact that it still has it's friction cap might be a little unusual, and as there is also some odd looking stuff knocking around inside the head, I wonder if it was ever used. It was in a pile of old barn or garage type stuff that was in a similar rusty condition (harness stuff, glass oil bottles, old abused tools and car parts) so I assume it was a casual bring back by somebody at some time rather than ever spending time in the hands of a collector. Anybody have any ideas about the year the or model designation or any other thoughts or comments?
    Attached Files

Yes, you have a found a nice WW1 trainer. It is a little rough, but for $10. that is a great buy!!!

This link has more info on the training stick grenades.

http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe...kgrenades.html

Here are a few pictures of some of mine.

There were several different models in WW1 with the large head or smaller head like yours, modeled after the M1917.
    Attached Files

Comment

two more examples. The was has been repainted.
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X