Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smooth fragmentation sleeve

Hi All,
    Just got my first smooth fragmentation sleeve for my m24 grenade. At the moment this is the only picture I have (problems with loading more images to my computer). It’s in relic condition, so won’t be sliding it over the explosive head of my grenade. Looks like it’ll be snug fit, just having to open it a little to fit the explosive head.

Did some searching and found a post here by WA-member jeeeensy, which he displays, his awesome collection of smooth frag. sleeves. I also found a website (with a section on Splittermantel für stielhandgranate) that said that the SS developed these smooth fragmentation sleeves and the serrated type with three cllips and tension ring was developed and used by the Wehrmacht. As jeeensy mentioned it came in different thickness so the weight will differ.

Did I do well as these look like it can be easily faked more so then the serrated ones. Which would be more valuable, the SS (smooth sleeve) or serrated type Wehrmacht ones?

Thank you,
    Rodney
    Grenade smooth frag. sleeve.jpg

Aloa Rodney,

thanks for posting this and for starting the thread.

Your smooth frag-sleeve is fine, no problem concerning originality.

These smooth sleeves are rather common and not often faked as
    far as I know.

The serrated ones, IF original, are much rarer than the smooth ones.

It says the smooth ones were made for Waffen-SS troops but they
    can be found also in places were Wehrmacht-troops fought.

It is however rarer to discover the smooth ones with original paint still preserved, most offered are ground-dug.
    Jeeeensy has a fantastic collection of both types(smooth & serrated).

Ferdinand
    Luxembourg

Comment

I like the frag sleeve,looks good.
      Just a question regarding these,has anyone seen them marked with a maker code? I would be interested to see examples of coded ones if they exist.

Andrew

Comment

Hi Ferdinand and Andrew,
        Thanks for confirming that my frag. sleeve is original. There's a small section on the sleeve that has some paint on it, most is covered in rust. I took a closer look and couldn't find any markings any where. Here I thought the smooth frag. sleeve ones would worth more as it was made by the SS... (Sorry again, still having trouble with getting pictures from my camera to computer, my printer won't take my SD card anymore)

On Collector’s Guild website in the grenade section, they have one for sale with the Background info: “Observations on the Russian front of the effectiveness of the Russian RGD33 grenade with fragmentation sleeve led the Germans to copy the idea and develop their own grenade fragmentation sleeve. The first German fragmentation sleeve was a smooth version introduced by the Waffen-SS, Waffen-und Geräteamtes, (Weapons and Equipment Office), under command of SS-Oberführer Heinrich Gärtner in mid-1942. Shortly afterwards the German army followed suit by developing a serrated version of the fragmentation grenade although both patterns were used by both organizations.”

Check out jeeeensy collection of smooth frag. sleeves !!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=99340 , #143, #144 and #145.

Thank you,
        Rodney

Comment

Nice one RodneyO. Here is my M24 with sleeve.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi jayhawkhenry,
            Thanks for sharing your m24. That's an excellent example of a m24 with frag-sleeve!!!

Comment

*** M24 grenade fragmentation sleeve, opinion please ***

Hi,
              Any opinion about thhis M24 fragmentation sleeve and its markings?
              Cheers
              Brice
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X