No announcement yet.

grenade launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The manual for the launcher and grenade does not mention or illustrate a carrying pouch. The launcher is so compact it could easily be carried in the pocket of a jump smock.

The manual indicates that the grenades were packed 25 to a case but provides no illustration of the case or how the grenades were packed in it. There is no mention or illustration of any sort of on-the-man grenade pouch.

Comment

thank you for the info,

Comment

spigot type German GGrGer

Originally posted by Craig W.C. Brown View Post
        I am resurrecting this thread because I have acquired an original specimen of this launcher which I will have on display at the upcoming Show of Shows in Louisville. I have an example of the French postwar reproduction as well.

The originals are made in such a way that they will only fit a K98k with no front sight hood affixed. The front sight hood blocks the launcher from seating and locking properly. The reproductions are milled flat on the top rear end where the muzzle is inserted so that they will fit a K98k with the front sight hood fitted. These differences are observable in the photos provided.

Ferdinand W.: Do you know where your dug specimen was found?
        Hi Craig,

the seller was from Poland, so I suppose it comes from the Eastern front.
        But the seller did not tell me where it was discovered....

Ferdinand

Comment

Ferdinand: Very interesting. According to Heidler's book work on the weapon system as a whole terminated in 1942 with the inference that production did as well...
          The first combat use seems to have been on Crete but thereafter the trail goes cold.
          Most sources attribute the use to paratroops but one reference says they were also used by Luftwaffe Felddivisionen which might account for use on the Ostfront.
          One would think more contemporary photos of them in use would turn up.
          Last edited by Craig W.C. Brown; 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

pics with the GGP40 launcher in use are really hard to find....but i have one or two in my files....

Comment

here is one.....
              Attached Files

Comment

here is another one.....paratrooper in north africa
                Attached Files

Comment

That photo from N. Africa is first-class. I think I see the rear sight behind his elbow.

Comment

a very nice original set, the GGP40, the launcher with sight and the manual was shown on a table at the SOS...

Comment

That outfit you saw at the SOS was/is mine.
                      The sight was borrowed from another collector.
                      We obtained considerable information as a result of that exhibit. Herewith the results:
                      There are two versions of the launcher. 1) The version shown above as a dug specimen which is also the version shown in the manual and the version I have. This version will only fit K98k rifles without front sight hoods. 2)The version shown above as a French reproduction. This version will fit K98ks without a sight hood and K98ks with a sight hood. Note the milled out section at the top rear end of the launcher tube.
                      It may be that the 2d type launchers are field modifications of the 1st type made to fit K98ks with front sight hoods after the front sight hood was adopted.
                      A French collector stopped by and says he has originals of both versions. He also says he has a leather pouch for the launcher.
                      One of his turned up in Italy.
                      He says the postwar French reproductions are made in a small machine shop in Thailand.
                      We did a direct comparison of my original with one of the French postwar reproductions from my "Fakes" file and what was purportedly a ground-dug original of the second type launcher offered by a dealer here in the US. The
                      dealer's "ground dug original;" is a French postwar reproduction and he plans to return it to the consignor.
                      An American collector stopped by and reported that he has several different versions of projectiles for the unit.
                      I am in process of communicating with Michael Heidler on all of this.
                      It is obvious we still have much to learn about this weapon system and its deployment.

All-in-all a worthwhile exercise. I will advise further as things develop....
                      Last edited by Craig W.C. Brown; 02-23-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

wasn´t sure that the table was yours, a very good friend talked to you and took some pics for me, unfortunally i wasn´t there personally

Comment

found this....not much infos known
                          On 09. May 1941 the first complete launcher sets (450 pieces) were delivered to the Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment 1 of Oberst Bernhard Ramcke. In the time before, there was only testing and developing.

Comment

Heidler has the best account of the whole business but as I have noted there is much more to the story.

Comment

with the permission of the owner i like to show the rare sight for the GGP40 launcher...
                              best regards jens
                              Attached Files

Comment

some more...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X