German grenade box, but what kind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German grenade box, but what kind?

I found this box in the attic a couple years ago, and I have always thought it was for the German handgrenades, but apparently I was wrong?

What was inside this box?

Close-ups and markings:

Comment

German box for 15 Stielhandgranaten

Hi,

what made you think you were wrong ??

You are 100% right, this box is for 15 German stick-handgrenades/Stielhandgranaten 24
      plus the fuzes and the detonators for them !

Beautiful catch, nice box, thanks for sharing your pics !

Ferdinand W.

Comment

Well, people said it was not for handgrenades, but for artillery shells, they said the only boxes that were made for the german hand grenades were the metal boxes.
        Oh well, looks as if I was right after all.

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get the rest of the interior for the box(The Grenade and fuze rack especially).

Comment

box for 15 Stielhandgrenades

The wooden rack is part of the box, ultra-rare to find a complete
          wooden box with this inlays !

Look here, a most interesting web-site:

http://wehrmachts.kisten.free.fr/gre...e24_bois_2.htm

Ferdinand

Comment

ultra rare??? i would say nearly impossible

Comment

German box for 15 Stielhandgranaten

Hello Jens,

yes, you are right - nearly impossible !!

Ferd

Comment

Hi Jens.. Fern, CollectorWW2

I believe that this box did not have the inner rack, the box that has the inner rack has two removable covers,, this has only the one. the grens were laid loose...

Here is one with the two removable covers, very rare to find with the inner rack

Kindd Regards Nick
                Attached Files

Comment

Comment

When you go to Nicks place to look at his grenade collection he has issue bibs & drool cloths that you have to put on before your allowed in.

Originally posted by jeeeensy View Post
                    Hi Jens.. Fern, CollectorWW2

I believe that this box did not have the inner rack, the box that has the inner rack has two removable covers,, this has only the one. the grens were laid loose...

Here is one with the two removable covers, very rare to find with the inner rack

Kindd Regards Nick

Comment

Very nice boxes. Interesting that the Germans made two distinctively different wooden stick grenade boxes late in the war. Like everything else in late 1944 an early 1945, the packaging got cheaper with fewer and fewer metal parts. Just one steel latch and no hinges to go with the loose rope handle.

My recently purchased example was for M43 stick grenades and dated February, 1945. It was used to ship souvenirs home from Germany and still has the address in red grease pencil on the top and bottom.

Comment

German handgrenade-boxes

Hello All,

many thanks for the most interesting contributions and comments !

I have 2 later boxes with only 1 cover too and they have no inlays or racks either.

However it looks as if the boxes with 1 cover initially had some sort of
                        inlay too ?!
                        Mine also have these inner grooves at the bottom which probably
                        had a purpose ?

If not they would make no sense and would have complicated manufacture
                        unnecessarily ?

I hope you understand what I mean. My opinion is there is "something" missing on those completely empty ones.

Thanks in advance for your opinions !

Ferdinand

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X