Large gun sighting dials ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large gun sighting dials ????

Can anyone tell me what type of gun these would have been a part of ? they are handed, both marked crown/M Left hand size one is also marked L1156 5L on the rear. Right hand side is marked 1156 5R on the rear . as you can see they are marked Links (left) and rechts (right) and in degrees (or minutes) see pictures. Many thanks in advance, Regards Tobysauer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tobysauer; 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM. Reason: spellimg oops!!

more
    Attached Files

Comment

more 1
      Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone got any idea what these dials are from ????

Comment

No, sorry.
          Only thing i can tell you, is that they have an acceptance mark of the German Imperial Navy (Kaiserliche Marine), so they are pre 1919.

Zünder,

www.wk2ammo.com

Comment

My thoughts are the same as Zunder on the C/M acceptance markings.

I initially thought that these might be timing rings off of a fuze assembly for a large caliber naval gun, but they look too big for that purpose and the "Right" and "Left" directional markings on them are not seen on fuzes.

As you suggest in the title of your post, these appear to be adjustment dials for some sort of device such as a range finder, optical equipment, or other gunnery-related device. To identify the specific device these components came from I think you are going to have to find someone who is expert regarding the fire control and/or observation equipment used on WWI-era German warships.

Comment

Thanks Alan and Zunder for your replies, very interesting! I Have had these for years and often puzzled over them, I will keep searching the internet and will let you know if I dig anything up. Regards and best wishes, Tobysauer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X