Panzerhandgranaten 41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzerhandgranaten 41

I have never seen any of these before in any militaria dealer shop, so I recon they must be pretty rare.
    Here's what I found about it.
    Panzerhandgranaten

The first special AT hand grenade was the Panzerhandgranate 41. It weighed 2kg and was effective against armor of up to 30mm thickness. 504,600 were produced in early 1943. Further developments of AT handgrenades utilising shaped charges had trouble stabilizing the flight which was necessary for the shaped charge to work (this lead to the development of the Panzerwurfmine).

The SS-weapon's academy then invented the HL-Handgranate that was also often referred to as the SS-HL-Handgranate to denominate it's inventor (see pictures at left and right). It had a length of 19cm, weighed 420g including the shaped charge of 210g and had a diameter of 7.2 cm. It's front consisted of a felt disc which was 6mm thick and drenched with glue. The idea was to run up to the tank and stick the grenade onto the armor. This method to attach the AT grenade to the tank proved to be less practical than intended, the weapon proved rather unsuccessful and unpopular, therefore further developments centered around the Hafthohlladung which seemed more promising.

Another way conceived to fight the armor with hand grenades was the use of a Motorstopmittel ("engine stop agent"). A handgrenade was filled with fine powder - Stopsand - that was to be sucked into the tank's engine. It was obvious that the weapon would be useless if appropriate air intake filters were installed on the tanks.
    The next filling was to consist of an agent that was to produce flakes and therewith completely clog up the air filters. The idea worked - but only on smaller vehicles with small filters. The last idea for a filling was ozone. Brought into the engine it would have decreased the fuel's octane level and thereby deteriorate combustion. In trials the engines coughed and sputtered but kept running.
    The whole Motorstoppmittel-Handgranate project was abandoned early 1943.

A very limited prototype series was built of the small Haftkörper ("attaching device") devices. These were small sticky attachment devices that could be combined with different "warheads", or rather cannisters, such as the Motorstoppmittel described above or with incendiary - type cans containing flammable liquid.The small attachment devices weighed 0.5kg, they were considered an unfeasible idea and the program was stopped again rather quick.

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, they are very, very rare to find in this condition...i had one some years ago in my old ( but sold) collection.... i will look after a good picture tomorrow....

Comment

...and this was my SS PzHGr 41.......
          Attached Files

Comment

wow, thats a first. thanks for showing. definitely a keeper, excellent shape and as stated, "rare". Glenn

Comment

Outstanding examples, of course keepers

Comment

Again superb

François

Comment

Great piece! I have never seen one of those before!! Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegermeister View Post
                    I have never seen any of these before in any militaria dealer shop, so I recon they must be pretty rare.
                    Here's what I found about it.
                    Panzerhandgranaten

The first special AT hand grenade was the Panzerhandgranate 41. It weighed 2kg and was effective against armor of up to 30mm thickness. 504,600 were produced in early 1943. Further developments of AT handgrenades utilising shaped charges had trouble stabilizing the flight which was necessary for the shaped charge to work (this lead to the development of the Panzerwurfmine).

The SS-weapon's academy then invented the HL-Handgranate that was also often referred to as the SS-HL-Handgranate to denominate it's inventor (see pictures at left and right). It had a length of 19cm, weighed 420g including the shaped charge of 210g and had a diameter of 7.2 cm. It's front consisted of a felt disc which was 6mm thick and drenched with glue. The idea was to run up to the tank and stick the grenade onto the armor. This method to attach the AT grenade to the tank proved to be less practical than intended, the weapon proved rather unsuccessful and unpopular, therefore further developments centered around the Hafthohlladung which seemed more promising.

Another way conceived to fight the armor with hand grenades was the use of a Motorstopmittel ("engine stop agent"). A handgrenade was filled with fine powder - Stopsand - that was to be sucked into the tank's engine. It was obvious that the weapon would be useless if appropriate air intake filters were installed on the tanks.
                    The next filling was to consist of an agent that was to produce flakes and therewith completely clog up the air filters. The idea worked - but only on smaller vehicles with small filters. The last idea for a filling was ozone. Brought into the engine it would have decreased the fuel's octane level and thereby deteriorate combustion. In trials the engines coughed and sputtered but kept running.
                    The whole Motorstoppmittel-Handgranate project was abandoned early 1943.

A very limited prototype series was built of the small Haftkörper ("attaching device") devices. These were small sticky attachment devices that could be combined with different "warheads", or rather cannisters, such as the Motorstoppmittel described above or with incendiary - type cans containing flammable liquid.The small attachment devices weighed 0.5kg, they were considered an unfeasible idea and the program was stopped again rather quick.

MEGA RARE & my dream, try to find many years.(((

but somewhere lies, and waits me!)))

Comment

http://wehrmachts.kisten.free.fr/ssphm_2.htm

Comment

Hi All,
                        Hmmm for some reasons I cannot attach file in explorer or firefox....so sorry no viewing pleasure

Here is an almost perfect Panzerhandgranaten 41 for your viewing pleasure... I hope you like.

Comment

Hi, I asked a forum member and a moderator if they could assist with posting a picture or allowing me to post a picture and no response from either in nearly a week.... If I was a sensitive chap id be upset, as it is, I just assume an apathetic forum?

JHMO based on my response or lack of it

Comment

PZ Hgr 41

Hi here are the piccs Richardb was wanting to post,, Enjoy
                            Attached Files

Comment

a really nice lid for the bottom...the grenade looks repainted and the fuze is wrong, also the fuzeholder....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X