20mm Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20mm Ammo

Found plenty of these beauties on my trip to Northern Finland,anyone identify ammo type of this 20mm ammo,gotta be AP round,becouse of the sharp tip but what about interior of the shell?

Also founded these,my guess for these are 20mm MG FF casings?

First looks to be a 2cm MG 151, and the second one a 2cm MG FF...

Any visible markings on the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Beyerlein View Post
      First looks to be a 2cm MG 151, and the second one a 2cm MG FF...

Any visible markings on the bottom?
      Lower one got these markings: 41 1i J1 and 3 letter stamp AUX also there is eagleshape stamp.

all the MG151 ones are badly rusted,i gotta clean one.But one of them have atleast 40 readable.What is good tool to remove rust? I believe dremel machine with some soft metal brush would be good?
      Last edited by jiipee76; 07-17-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Can you make a picture from the back side of the grenade. Most of the pointed 20mm MG151 grenades have some sort of filling. Either explosive or incendiairy (Phosfor)

Comment

Well, no offence; but if you have to ask what it is, you shouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

The shell is worth less then 1 € in this condition, it's just not worth the risk.

Comment

Well I agree with zunder when you dont' know exactly what it is leave it alone. The dremel is a good idea then perhaps it is sundenly empty with a loud bang and a flash, what will happen to, god knows. Look what hapened wit the two man when dealing with civel war ordnance in previous posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Zünder View Post
              Well, no offence; but if you have to ask what it is, you shouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

The shell is worth less then 1 € in this condition, it's just not worth the risk.
              I went trough Pioneer training in army and i believe i understand enough of ammunition/explosives.But maybe you can understand that how could i know about foreign airplane ammunition that is more than 60years old,burned,rusted and what ever.Better ask before do anything.

And these two shells i took with me,i carried them with big mg-ammunition case filled with sand to carry them safe way."Normal" way would have been put them to pocket.

Anyways,they are both now examined,both are empty(hollow).There were only sand inside shells.They both have thread on bottom/inside.I believe shell deactived/backfired itself when it were burned.

Comment

For the casings i had very good results using evaporust, no idea where in Finland you could get it.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X