Sprengbombe Dickwandig 2kg cluster bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprengbombe Dickwandig 2kg cluster bomb

I was searching some items in german positions at northern finland and found many of these fascinating looking items:

I also found the shrapnel heads for these bombs,which were detonated into two pieces.Visible on this picture at top:

They look like Sprengbombe Dickwandig 2kg or SD2 codename.One of them have darkyellow color and full markings visible: 88fvw42

Anyone have good picture of this item?

Sd2

"Butterfly" bombs alright!
    I'm still looking for that unwanted mint specimen!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossfuss View Post
      "Butterfly" bombs alright!
      I'm still looking for that unwanted mint specimen!
      Not found mint one,but i can handle it...as i found about 30 of these "been there" samples within 15minutes after i started seaching there...

Comment

Fuze Types

There were three or four types of fuzing.

Look at the top where the fin potrude from and your may be able to find stamping that has numbers. Two digets.

Jeff

Comment

Most definately a Luftwaffe SD2 'Butterfly' Bomb..BILL

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...Butterfly+bomb

Comment

Originally posted by BILL GRIST View Post
            Most definately a Luftwaffe SD2 'Butterfly' Bomb..BILL

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...Butterfly+bomb
            Very nice sample you got there Bill.Do you know what is proper original color of these? Few of my samples have dark yellow areas visible under rust.

I wonder could i restore one from these 30 or so samples i got here.What is best way to remove rust from the parts? Few parts even got original paint on them,which is hard to believe when they have been on sandy forrest more than 60 years.What is more weird,that few of them have working hinges.

Comment

add onTerve Jiipee!
              Try soaking rusted parts in household vinegar (10%) readily available from grocery store. Get a plastic bucket with a cover and soak those pieces in vinegar.
              Check daily, and brush with "juuriharja" coarse brush. Acid will form dark layer, just brush it away. After that soak or cover with alcalic soap like Mr Proper and let be like 24 hours to neutralize(not sure if needed) Then cover with gun oil.
              '
              Voila!!

Of course try at little piece first...

Comment

Here is two SD2 bomblets i founded today,nasty looking bombs(both were on top of the ground,i did not touch them):

The one on the left have its detonator still on it.Right one have no visible detonator,but explosive inside definetly.

Comment

Hanger device

Here is picture of SD2 hangerwire i founded.This one keeps shrapnel head on casing system/wings when bomb is dropped:

Comment

Hi jiipee,

Great finds there,you have done very well!
                    Def keep away from those you dug up with fuzes still in though!
                    If you find another arming rod like that in the picture above(but unbroken),please give me a shout as i need one more to complete a butterfly bomb project.

best

waff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X