German 88 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German 88 Question

I Just Found The Short German 88 C/35 Shell Case To Go With My Navy 88 Projectile. Its Steel And Covered With Black Pitch Inside And Out. This Is The Way It Was Found A Long Time Ago At The Ruined U-boat Pens On The French Coast. Has Any Body Seen This Before And Did The Germans Do It Perhaps To Protect The Steel From Exposure To Salt Air. The Reason I Ask Is The Bottom Of My Projectile Is Also Covered With Black Pitch. Thank You For Any Help.
    Attached Files

Projectile Base

Base
    Attached Files

Comment

88 Case

Case
      Attached Files

Comment

Case Bottom

Bottom
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
          I Just Found The Short German 88 C/35 Shell Case To Go With My Navy 88 Projectile. Its Steel And Covered With Black Pitch Inside And Out. This Is The Way It Was Found A Long Time Ago At The Ruined U-boat Pens On The French Coast. Has Any Body Seen This Before And Did The Germans Do It Perhaps To Protect The Steel From Exposure To Salt Air. The Reason I Ask Is The Bottom Of My Projectile Is Also Covered With Black Pitch. Thank You For Any Help.
          HELLO, ANY IDEAS OR COMMENTS ABOUT THE BLACK PITCH ON THE SHELL CASE? ITS STILL ENROUTE FROM ENGLAND. I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD REMOVE OR LEAVE THE PITCH. IM INCLINED TO LEAVE IT NOT KNOWING WHO PUT IT ON AND THE FACT ITS ON THE PROJECTILE ALSO.

Comment

When in doubt, leave it alone
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X