Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 inch German Shell

Hey Great stuff,
    Couple years ago I found Two 7" WW1 German Naval shells, Approx 125lbs. ea. I wish I could provide photos, you would love them. Have never found any bigger ones and I have be looking.

This site is Way Cool,

Schmeisserman

Schmeisserman,

Are you by chance the guy who fairly recently offered such WWI German navy shells on e-bay? I corresponded with the seller and gave him a lot of information on the shells which, prior to that time, he did not know much about. The seller's story was that the shells were given to him by an old guy who had them sitting outside of a garage or something. If I recall correctly, one (1) of the shells was put up for auction but did not sell due to a fairly high reserve.

In any event, I have one (1) shell that I think is identical to what you describe. If I can ever find time I will take photos of my shell and post them here. Currently, with a 2-week old newborn child, most of my time is focused on family needs.

Take care and please post your photos.

Alan Smith
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Yes, Alan I'm that person. Photos are coming from another member as I can't provide for some reason. Reserve was set high, not many of these around. With the one you have that makes three that are known.
      Best of luck with the new baby, I have been there 3 times.
      Regards,
      kent

Comment

German WWI Navy Projectiles

Posting for Schmeisserman.. WWI German Navy projectiles.. Quite large ones..I'll let him tell the story..BILL
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

^
              Attached Files

Comment

Bill, thanks for the help posting the pics. I have two of these things and know of one other on the east coast. A member named Alan has the third one.
                If anyone has some more info, please add.
                Thanks again Bill.
                Regards,
                kent

Comment

Kent,

Good to hear from you (and thanks for the encouraging words re: kids). Nice photos (thanks Bill) and, yes, your shell is just like mine. I managed to snap a few shots in between changing diapers, so here it goes.

First shot uses MG08 to give indication of size of shell (plus, that's where it stays on display).

BTW: I have been intending to post photos of the shell as my favorite large ordinance item, so I was happy to see your post and have it prompt me to act.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Photo #2
                    Attached Files

Comment

Photo #3
                      Attached Files

Comment

Photo #4
                        Attached Files

Comment

Photo #5

As I mentioned to Kent when we corresponded re: his e-bay auction, I believe these shells to come from WWI German ships brought to the U.S. East Coast after WWI as spoils of war. These would be some of the same German ships as Billy Mitchell used for targets in his famous aircraft bombing experiments in the 1920's.

My shell came from the estate of a WWI U.S. Navy vet from Memphis, TN. My belief is that U.S. servicemen who were part of the prize crews bringing the German ships to the U.S. and/or preparing the ships for target use likely removed these large projectiles as souvenirs. The projectiles are darn sure too heavy to be something a Doughboy brought home in his backpack.

BTW: I have seen a WWII-era scrap drive photo where 6 or 8 of these shells were lined up to be donated to a melt-down for the war effort. I've seen photos where lots of WWI German items were contributed to scrap drives (as well as other nice collectables like U.S. civil war cannon).
                          Attached Files

Comment

These are german WW1 17 cm HE shells, official name: "17 cm Sprenggranate L/4,7 (Kz) (Haube) and were shot by the 17 cm S.K. L/40

The same gun was still in good use during WW2.

Can you take the top off ? What kind of fuze is fitted ?

Congratulations; very nice find

Comment

Zunder,

Thanks for the information. Yes, the top unscrews from my shell but no fuze is present. I'll take photos tonight and post.

I would be very interested in learning what type fuze was used in these shells, as well as what type of cartridge case (if any) was used to hold the firing charge.

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X