UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deactivated ordinance how do you tell???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deactivated ordinance how do you tell???

Hi all,
    After reading the thread on the owner of the dugup.co.uk's site fate, im an unsure on buying any ordinance ever again!!!! How can you tell that anything that is ground dug is deactivated?? Obviously, with items that are in better condition it is clearer, if the firing pin is removed then it is ok? How can you tell if panzerfausts are ok? I think this is an important safety issue for akll members to address!!

Kaboom

Originally posted by Mat Holloway
    Hi all,
    After reading the thread on the owner of the dugup.co.uk's site fate, im an unsure on buying any ordinance ever again!!!! How can you tell that anything that is ground dug is deactivated?? Obviously, with items that are in better condition it is clearer, if the firing pin is removed then it is ok? How can you tell if panzerfausts are ok? I think this is an important safety issue for akll members to address!!
    Hello, If it is ground dug heavy ordnance..LEAVE IT...It is a dud and still alive and it will still explode, it is just not worth loosing a hand ,eyes or your life..You can find nice mint safe orndance at most shows.......BILL

Comment

Matt ,
      What did happen to dug up owner ? As a member of the royal engineers for 22 years his ocupation has always filled me with a certain amount of dread.
      Was it a terminal event or an injury event , or if he was really lucky a legal one ?

As a basic guide , stay away from digging around in the old battlefields , visit by all means .
      The metal detector will find everything , from scrap and bits of old boxes, to the item that will kill you and has been waiting to do so. It is a mugs game
      and WILL catch up with you.
      The deminers in france are experts at this and many have done this on the ww1 and ww2 battle fields for years ........and yes they have men killed every year. As per the prior post buy it in the stall at the shows and look at everything with fresh corrosion and mud as an item that is lethal .

Comment

Theres a thread running luckily its legal issues not life ones but all the same its not good
        I only like clean ordinance, but think that its a little risky if you buy something that you dont know about and end up arrested or even worse dead!!!

Comment

Well i think leaving ammunition found in the field alone is the most important rule of all.
          But i think matt's question has more to do with inert ammunition.

I have been collecting ammo for 15 years, and i basically use the following guidlines.

1: make sure you can look inside of the projectile, rocket, grenade or whatever, it should be empty (of course).
          Always take a small flashlight with you to fairs, and examine the piece thoroughly.
          If you buy onlinhe, ask additional pictures that show the inside.

If you can't take the fuze off, and the fuze has no markings of tools from a previous opening, leave it alone.

There are practive rounds where the shell is filled with tar, concrete or any other inert filler, but these are normally easily recognizable by markings, dummy fuze etc.

2: check the fuze, especially small kaliber (2 cm etc), the initial charge has to removed, or it's pocket empty.
          Some fuzes have a small charge inside, be extra carefull with those !!

3: check the shellcase, look inside.
          Sometimes powderresidue is left inside.

4: check the primer of shellcase, has it been struck ?
          But be aware, some shellcases have electric primers, you can't tell wether or not these are inert from the outside.

5: check base of projectile: is the tracer element still present.
          Although really difficult to light, tracerelements burn very hot and bright for a few seconds.

6: if a projectile is empty, but you can't get it of the case; check the primer first, then check the crimps at the case mouth.
          If the crimps are intact, and the primer is intact, then you can be pretty sure that it is still live.

7: Panzerfausts: check the barrel, from both sides, it has to be empty all the way.
          The warhead itself; take it apart if possible, look inside the warhead from the fuze pocket, it has to be empty.
          Tap on the warhead with a coin, if it sounds solid at the base then you know what to do...

8: AND THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU !
          Invest in good documentation, know what you are buying !
          If you have doubts, ask fellow collectors.

Find out what the local regulations are regarding inert ammunition, and play the rules by the book.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X