Collect 88 shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collect 88 shells

I want to know as much as possible about the 88 ammo, and all its versions. is there a site, or even better, a book or CD with data about these magnificent ammo?

First of all, you should narrow you're search, what are you looking for :
    - 8,8 cm Flak 18, 36,37 and Kw.K. 36
    - 8,8 cm Flak 41
    - 8,8 cm SK C/35
    - 8,8 cm DüKa, or DKW
    - 8,8 cm Kw.K 43
    etc..
    The list is long...

There's not a single book (yet) that describes all 8,8 cm ammo ever made, mainly because of the number of different shells, and various different guns.

Good sources are the Waffen Revue booklets, and original manuals, but some of those, like the ones for Kw.K 43 and DüKa have not been found yet.

On the web: www.wk2ammo.com (sorry, but i can't think of anything else. )
    We are working on a database that will contain most of the 8,8 cm ammunition, including many experimental and never seen types, but that will take some time.

If you ever have a question, feel free to contact me.

Comment

Zünder
      I'm new to this part of collecting. I mainly collect swords, But the prices have gone bananas , so I keep that part on a low rate. Ordnance is a nice brance to collect, and I want to collect the LW (FLAK) part. I have to wait for a permit, but I can try to learn before I start buying. I visited the website you mentioned, and found a lot of information. What I need is a good reference about german shells, granates etc. I found out that the information on-line is poor. Maybe you know a good site, or book about german ordnance.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

You guys might like these 88 fuse holders. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=217638

Originally posted by Dutchknive
        Zünder
        I'm new to this part of collecting. I mainly collect swords, But the prices have gone bananas , so I keep that part on a low rate. Ordnance is a nice brance to collect, and I want to collect the LW (FLAK) part. I have to wait for a permit, but I can try to learn before I start buying. I visited the website you mentioned, and found a lot of information. What I need is a good reference about german shells, granates etc. I found out that the information on-line is poor. Maybe you know a good site, or book about german ordnance.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

@crowback: those are expensive to european standards, i saw a whole bunch on a fare some time ago: 1€ a piece.

And they were not specifically for 8,8 cm, but i guess "8,8" makes them easier to sell.

Comment

WOW that is quite a mark-up !!!
            Originally posted by Zünder
            @crowback: those are expensive to european standards, i saw a whole bunch on a fare some time ago: 1€ a piece.

And they were not specifically for 8,8 cm, but i guess "8,8" makes them easier to sell.

Comment

Publications on Artillery Ammunition

The US government published several TM's on German and other explosive ordnance. TM 9-1985-3 GERMAN EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE (PROJECTILES & PROJECTILE FUZES), March 1953 is one of a series on different countries and different types of ordnance. The Picatinny Arsenal Technical Report Number 2510, DICTIONARY OF EXPLOSIVES, AMMUNITION AND WEAPONS (GERMAN SECTION), 1958 covers the explosives and large ammo very well---not real great on weapons. Then there is TM-E 30-451 Handbook on German Armed Forces (last edition is best) and ENEMY ORDNANCE MATERIEL, a loose leaf Army publication on guns, vehicles, artillery, mines, etc. (sheets could be added or removed from this one).

Comment

Did the Germans use practice rounds? You know, the rounds made of wood or other materials to practice loading? Are these available?

Emo

Comment

Yes they did.

I know of 3 different types:

- Exerzierpatrone der 8,8 cm Flak: steel base, wooden body, and dummy fuze.
                  Used for practicing the handeling of 8,8 cm Flak 18 ammunition.

-Zünderstell- und Ladeübungpatrone der 8,8 cm Flak: steel base, black hard rubber body, dummy fuze.
                  Used to practicing the handeling of 8,8 cm Flak 18 ammunition and practice the setting of the time fuze.

- Ladeübungpatrone der 8,8 cm flak 18: steel base, wooden body, black rubber nose.Used to practice the loading of the gun.

All rounds mentioned above are very, very difficult to get hold of and prices will be high.

I got lucky, and bought all 3 at once.

Originally posted by Captain Emo
                  Did the Germans use practice rounds? You know, the rounds made of wood or other materials to practice loading? Are these available?

Emo

Comment

Originally posted by Zünder
                    Yes they did.

I know of 3 different types:

- Exerzierpatrone der 8,8 cm Flak: steel base, wooden body, and dummy fuze.
                    Used for practicing the handeling of 8,8 cm Flak 18 ammunition.

Zunder:
                    Could you post a picture of this one? I was in a junk shop yesterday and bought what I believe may be an 8,8 wooden practice round. It is a "laminated" piece of wood, not cut from one tree with a metal base and metal fuse. It is quite heavy and seems weighted. I will post pics tonight.

Emo

Comment

@emo: sorry, i'm not able to post pics here.

All wooden 8,8 dummy's i mentioned are built out of discs of plywood, spiked onto a steel rod.

I wouldn't be at all surpised if you bought you're self a US 3 Inch Naval practice round.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X