Mortar increments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortar increments

Today I was given several moratr increments (little extra doses of powder). They are either german or US, since those were the only troops in the area. They consist of little plastic like bubbles with powder inside. I suspect they are US, can anyone confirm this? Did the Germans also have plastic like material?
    JL

Defenitely not german, although the germans used captured mortar rounds that used these discs.

Got a picture ?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "bubbles" All of the older wartime U.S. mortar rounds I have seen had either cloth sacks filled with propellant or the 4.2in round had rings made out of propellent that looked like hard orange cheese, hence the name "cheese charges".
      Pics would sure help.
      Regards,
      Johnnie

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
      Today I was given several moratr increments (little extra doses of powder). They are either german or US, since those were the only troops in the area. They consist of little plastic like bubbles with powder inside. I suspect they are US, can anyone confirm this? Did the Germans also have plastic like material?
      JL

Comment

Sorry, no pics for now. The incrments look like a small transparent egg made of some kind of plastic style material, with square shaped powder inside.
        Maybe they are post war? I will try to get some pics done. The person who gave them to me found them in a gas mask canister, with 7.92 ammo.
        JL

Comment

Here is a picture:
          Attached Files

Comment

I have never seen any American made mortar increment that looked like that, ( but I cannot claim to have seen them all either) Actually, it really doesn't look like any mortar increment I have sen. Perhaps a propellant charge for another type of munition?

Your guess is as good as mine.
            Regards,
            Johnnie

Comment

You are right, maybe this has nothing to do with mortars. Any other opinions?
              JL

Comment

Could be french. The 81mm mortar rounds we fired had similar to those, but round.

Best
                Chris

Comment

Mortar increments

I used to give those out to the men when I was on CQ back in the sixties.They had to accept them or no pass tonite.LOL
                  I really don't know either, but would like to find out Danny

Comment

like I said, they ARE increments, and old ones. the 81mm Brandt mortar used similar, they are flat on the bottom, domed, and round. These are of course oblong but may be for a 60,mm? The modern 81mm s have a different kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
                      Here is a picture:
                      lol looks like a condom! LMAO

Comment

Here are a couple of german ones

cheers
                        Gary
                        Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-31-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I was wanting to post pictures of the charges (sausage like sacks) as well, but cannot find the photos , sorry
                          Cheers,
                          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood
                            I was wanting to post pictures of the charges (sausage like sacks) as well, but cannot find the photos , sorry
                            Cheers,
                            Gary
                            American mortar men called what we use today cheese.

Comment

Jean only thing i can think of cos this does not appear to be a circlip of propellant for a mortar, theyre usually c shaped, that it might be given its longer in the middle shape, also most likely not a charge bag for artillery, that it might be a wrap around propellant charge bag for a recoiless rifle or an illumination type mortar,it is rubber coated so that is odd also as propellant bags are usually cloth or now with some circlips for mortars plastic encased, im not framilair with what they had then for charge bags but it vcant be much diffrent then what we got now cos its basic stuff. Reason i say this is because some recoilles rounds, HE and HEAT have the propellant,bag wrapped around the long tail base which an illumination mortar also commonly has.Ignited through the venturis in the base and propells the projectile. But this one is very small and has a weird shape in comparison to a propellant bag so im stumped.Are there any numbers or colours on it?

Can you cut the bag and shake out a LITTLE SMALL dime sized amount to light with a small stick with a lit end and see if it flashes? Away from the main bag of course and in a controlled area.
                              Last edited by pete; 06-09-2005, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X