Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat binoculars opinion needed.

Hey everyone.

I'm being offered these and the seller says they are off a U-boat. I'm interested, but other than the stamping on the case is there a way to tell whether these are U-boat issued (if there was such a thing) or simply navy used pair? I'm not an expert in these areas. He's asking $1100.00 and says they are in good condition but optics could use a clean.

Any help would be great. BTW... this is the only pic he's offered. I've asked for more.

Standard navy binos, unless there's provenance or any other reliable indication to conform they're U-boat related, that's all they are IMO.
    Nice pair though and a fairly reasonable price.
    Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Simon View Post
      Standard navy binos, unless there's provenance or any other reliable indication to conform they're U-boat related, that's all they are IMO.
      Nice pair though and a fairly reasonable price.
      Martin
      Thanks. I kinda suspect so as I've seen Das Boot (LOL) and other U-boat binos and they look pretty heavy duty.

I questioned their provenance as he said they came from U-190 (of which he has other items to sell like a U-boat pin) which was captured off Newfoundland and towed in at the end of the war thereabouts. He wrote back this....

The person I purchased them from worked on the tug that towed it to Halifax during the war. He was from the east coast but when I met him he owned a little sea food place in Belleville. In the items is a small photo of the boat being prepared for tow. Apparently I was the first person to see these items for a long time ( as his kids who were adults when I met them had no interest in the items or history ) and he loved to tell his stories.

Comment

Also standard binos were used on U boats.

Regards
        Christian

Comment

Standard Kriegsmarine binoculars used on all ships

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
            Also standard binos were used on U boats.

Regards
            Christian
            Cool. Thanks. Wasn't aware. And glad cuz I really like these binoculars.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
              Standard Kriegsmarine binoculars used on all ships

Andy
              Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Now I'm really interested. He wants $1100.00 , which is US$850.00

Comment

Photograph evidence wise ( of this set ) you will find most of it to be S boat related.
                99 times out of 100 these are "U Boat Binoculars" in all sales descriptions.
                As sets go they are average in terms of performance but make a nice display item.
                I have two of these and to be honest would never consider picking them up to use them.
                On Das Boat the skipper starts of with a set and well into the movie when he asks the radio operator to " Play that song , you know the one" they can be seen hanging up behind his bunk.
                IOn 1941 this set was not in production or service , when they attacked the convoy he had " traded them for a 8x60 "slim".
                This is an earlier model which did not have the clip back mechanism built into the top caps, from an exterior point of view they look to be in good order.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc View Post
                  Photograph evidence wise ( of this set ) you will find most of it to be S boat related.
                  99 times out of 100 these are "U Boat Binoculars" in all sales descriptions.
                  As sets go they are average in terms of performance but make a nice display item.
                  I have two of these and to be honest would never consider picking them up to use them.
                  On Das Boat the skipper starts of with a set and well into the movie when he asks the radio operator to " Play that song , you know the one" they can be seen hanging up behind his bunk.
                  IOn 1941 this set was not in production or service , when they attacked the convoy he had " traded them for a 8x60 "slim".
                  This is an earlier model which did not have the clip back mechanism built into the top caps, from an exterior point of view they look to be in good order.
                  Great information thanks. And yes... the "It's a Long Way To Tipperary" song. Ironically i just posted that on my Facebook feed a few days ago. Love that scene from DaS BOOT.... WHICH MUST BE SEEN in its original 5+ hour version... and on blu ray to truly be appreciated.

The seller said they came off a particular U-boat, brought into Canada, so while the S-boat reference is true, in this particular case I do believe, given his story and the journey of the binos since the war, they were on that U-boat. But the only thing now that worries me is your information about these being ... "average in performance" as I would definitely want to use them. Is it the optics and range that is "average"?

Comment

Just my own view on the beh late war set. As a set to use very comfortable ,they preform well on a bright day but compared to Zeiss are a little dull by comparison.
                    I have two of this type but I have to admit I seldom use them, just my own preference.
                    The rubber eye cups tend to be delicate which also makes me a little shy of using them.

Comment

Maybe not too expensive but the box misses its closure strap and schoulderstrap so to see. And are the upper rubbers of the bino repros or authentic as the colour shows strange from the pics.......

Regards
                      Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X