Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian,
    You are wrong, a watch is too fragile.
    Now look at the pictures below... and see what the lady is doing with your watch...

Happy collecting...

Originally posted by compressore View Post
    Thank you all very much having contributed to answer my questions.
    But still I want to elaborate a bit more on this:

What kind of commandos a commander was giving with the whistles, especially when using so different ones as shown in the photo above ?
    Is there any regulation about this, especially using a "thunderer whistle" ?

Attached a part of a pic I bought on E-Bay. I struggle a bit with thinking he has a whistle at the end of the cord. What sense does it make to have a whistle at such an occasion (he is sitting with colleagues and a lady on a bench) ?
    I would have bet it is a watch......

Thanks
    Christian
    Attached Files
    Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Whistle...

Great picture.....
      Are there information about my questions ?

What kind of commandos a commander was giving with the whistles, especially when using so different ones as shown in the photo above ?
      Is there any regulation about this, especially using a "thunderer whistle" ?

Regards
      Christian

Comment

Whistles, colored gloves (red glove left hand, green glove right hand) for example could be used for engine orders going alongside the pier or for line handling.

Also might be used for the lowering of the at sea flag and raising of the in-port flag (s).

Maybe for honors to higher officers or passing other warships to render salutes.

John

Comment

Hello,
          I see many wartime pictures to collect.
          My observations lead me to say that we see especially those cords whistles when the sailors are in harbor.
          For sailors and NCOs, whistles are used for executing orders based on sound variations, and to make the honors to officers amount or disembarks.
          For officers it helps attract immediate attention for an order urgency, maneuver, as well as for exercise.
          The ball whistle is much strong than a martial coxwain whistle, audible whatever the weather conditions.
          Opinion of a naval officer would be welcome.
          Sorry for my English, its very difficult for me to explain my think, find the good words.
          Best regards.
          Michel

Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

My first idea was also a stopwatch, but after seeing these pictures we can rule this option out I guess. I have like Christian, no idea why a U Boat Kommandant would use a whistle for. Using a whistle is not really a silent communication mode, not at the surface and not submerged. These were used on sailings ships go give the orders to the people up in the masts rigging the sails. It would be great to see a picture of what is hanging on the lanyard! Proof is better than opinions ...

Kdt Walter OTTO.jpg

Kdt Walter OTTO bis.jpg

Comment

As a side discussion, those are very interesting photos of the officer with the silver U-Boat clasp. I wonder why there are so many photos from the same occasion (we've now seen four photos posted by three separate members). Any idea who it is?

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Norm,
                The photo Glaser and I have shown were sold last week on Ebay as the estate of Wilhelm Otto. Officers shown are Otto, Schroeter and Nonn. Described as made in Kiel 1945.
                All photos went for a high price as all officers are highly decorated. I was able to get one.

Michel has photos of the same occasion but apparently from another estate/album....maybe from one of the other officers?
                Regards
                Christian

Comment

It's for the chaps car keys..... Just kidding, great pick of a front clasp!!

Comment

Michel, Christian,

Whilst exchanging our Jahreswechselwünsche (new year wishes) to one of the youngest KM U-Boat commanders and his wife, I asked him about the purpose of the (ball) whistle on the lanyard, this is what he stated and I happy to share this with you:

"Die Schnüre auf dem Foto gehören einmal zur Trillerpfeife der Wachoffiziere zur Einleitung eines An- oder Ablegemanövers,sowie zur Ehrenbezeugung durch das Signal:"Front nach BB oder StB" für hochrangige Vorgesetzte."

free translation: the whistle was used by the Officer on duty as introduction sign to the berthing maneuver and to the "eyes left or right" order.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2016!
                    Joe
                    Last edited by glaser; 12-27-2015, 06:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

KM Kriegsmarine (ball) whistle on the lanyard U-Boat Officers

just adding a title to my previous post

Comment

Other model of whistle

To share, an other model of ball whistle from my collec:

U-86 kmdt Kptlt. Walter Schug in Brest

Best regards
                        Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X