Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like Italian boats used by the Germans

Comment

I am not so sure these are Italian boats. The torpedo tube construction is German and is the removable type tube seen on the S-1,2,3 for sure. I don't know if they were used on any later boats. What I do not see are the port holes that these had in the hull or the 2 part strake. The first 5 boats were sold to Spain in 1938 and I don't know if they had undergone any refit before hand but that could explain the back ground and tropical uniform elements if this is the delivery. Germany also sold a few early style boats to other countries such as Yugoslavia. At least one of those, with this type of torpedo tube, was taken over by Italy and used by the MAS. I do not believe this ever returned to German hands.

The Ar-196 pics are beautiful. The water is so calm that it almost looks like a model airplane in some of the pics. Wonderful shots.

Valentino, I am going to send you a PM about this album.
            Regards,
            JAndrew

Comment

In one photo you can see Isotta Fraschini engine. Those were used on Italian boats, of which 24th Schnelbootflotille was composed after the KM took them from the Black sea. The first, large photos of boat is German, though, looks like S-1 based on the tubes position and opened front ends.

Comment

Amiklic1,
                You are correct about the 24 flotilla and I agree these photos are most likely from the Med. I realize you are probably aware of the following but I submit it for other readers for their opinions as well.

Nov. 1, 1943 the flotilla was created, later to be incorporated into the 3rd group, and took over boats from the Italian navy: S601 - S604 were ex MAS 42,43,44,46 ; S511 and S512 ex MAS 522 and 542 and S621 - S630.

The first two groups of boats were actually built by Lurssen shipyards for the Yugoslav navy and delivered around 1938 and the Italian navy took them over in 1941. The last series was also built by Lurssen along the lines of the S-38 series and delivered directly to the Italian navy. It seems that the Yugoslav boats were based on the S-2 to S-5 series but the hulls incorporated knuckles at the bow that was not introduced in German boats until the S-7 series which I think was 1934. You can see the knuckle in Valentino's photos.

I have pictures of the Dinora (MAS 43/S602) and Orgen (MAS 522/S511) and they have port holes along the sides of the hull. I also have pics of Triglav and Velebit but they are from the bow so I cannot tell. As I said, I don't see any evidence of port holes in any of the pics from the album so it makes me wonder if they were removed at some point.

My sources note that these boats were delivered with Daimler Benz diesel engines which gave a lot of trouble. So I am wondering if they were re engined with the Italian IF ASM 183 petrol engines which were more reliable and seemed to be a very common power plant in Italian MAS boats.

What are your thoughts?
                Regards,
                JAndrew

Comment

I think that Italian boats are in post #2, and German ones in posts #4 and #5.
                  Italian ones do not have tubes visible, and German ones have tubes above the deck line, with opened front end of the tubes.

You are right about everything you wrote.

Also, S511 was Orjen, and S602 was Dinara, both naamed by the mountains on east coast of Adriatic.

Comment

The photo in post #2 clearly shows the MAS number on the rright phhoto, which is "539".

So, that boat is clearly a MAS 539, which was part of 13. MAS-Flottille.

Her faith, based on http://francefightson.yuku.com/topic...1#.U8-ci7FsBvo

AUGUST 30th:
                    During the night a combined British-French force intercepts a small German convoy carrying reinforcements and supplies to Andros. Allied MTBs are supported by the Aegean squadron force "C" or French TBs La Melpomène, La Bayonnaise, L'Incomprise, La Poursuivante, La Cordelière, Branlebas. Some German manned Greek coasters, caïques and 2 Siebel ferries are destroyed. French TB La Bayonnaise is sunk by a torpedo from German MTB S-55. However S-54 is rammed and cut in two by l'Incomprise and MAS 539 destroyed by gunfire.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
                      JAndrew

Comment

Many thanks for all the informations, now i put it on e-stand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X