Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Pith Eagle

Hi Guys,
    Just been getting into Visor and headgear metal insignia as of lately. I just purchased this Pith helmet eagle by Brehmer and the question I have is, Was this used on all KM pith helmets with the shields or just officer helmets?
    I have relatively little knowledge in this area and looking to learn.
    Thanks
    Dave

kmpith.jpg

Traditional wisdom says these were used on the front of a KM officers tropenhelm without the side shields. I have seen a few examples with both but I think they were probably messed with. I have also seen a KM tropenhelm with grommetted holes on front and sides, though with no shields insitu, so hard to say how it was badged.

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I seen a set of insignia offered together shields and eagle so I'm not sure either.
      Thanks again
      Dave

Comment

I dont know why there are two different variations with the side shields n these large ones. There are also silver n gold variations of this eagle. Looks to be a very nice eagle. Matt

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
          I dont know why there are two different variations with the side shields n these large ones. There are also silver n gold variations of this eagle. Looks to be a very nice eagle. Matt
          Hi Matt,
          This eagle is by far the best headgear eagle in the third reich IMO.I have not seen a silver version yet, but would love to add one to the collection.
          These things measure about 4 inches from wing tip to wing tip and about 2 inches tall, very detailed and very mean looking.
          The other thing that gets me is that the eagle is facing to the viewers left, while all other wehrmacht eagles face the other way, I know helmets are different.
          I don't know if this means anything or of this was a regulation in regards to which way the eagle is suppose to face.
          Thanks for the input Matt
          Dave

Comment

Dave,

I don't think there is any signifigance behind which way the head faces on these. I believe the silver ones are for Admin. I used to own one of each but sold them a couple of years ago when I really perged out my Kriegs tropical stuff. I still have a Kriegs pith shield here and there but no more of these eagles. They are really sweet and they display great. Either way its a legit eagle and enjoy it! Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt,
              I need a silver one now and yes these are absolutely beautiful.
              Trust me I will enjoy this one and will probably die with this in my collection.
              Great birds they are.
              Dave

Comment

I love these birds, and i have a issued Karl Wurster example on the way any day now!!

Comment

Please post pics of it. These are, IMO, the best headgear eagle period. The Shako eagle is second. Apparently they also come in silver, which I would love to get.
                  I am looking for a Wurster myself, but it's hard to find them in mint condition.
                  Can't wait to see your new addition Andy.
                  Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Congrats, beautiful minty KM Paradehelm adler!

I just love III Reich birds so I buy some whenever I get a chance or when the wallet is too thinfor the "big stuff" because they are still relatively affordable
                    and very nice to collect

I have attached a pict of mine which is marked KWM: gold coloured zink with some wear & toning but as you said its a very impressive eagle. I also saw what was probably an earlier copper or tombac based specimen recently at Time Traveller that was really something special: first I have seen that was made this way but it was gone of course...

Shown in Assmann catalog (reprint) and exists in gold, silver and luftwaffe style
                    so the silver variant could have been used for Heeres & KM Beamte tropenhelm

Regards

JC
                    Attached Files

Comment

KM Line Officer - Luftwaffe parade - KM Line Officer
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice eagle JC. I saw the one time traveler had as well. Matt think the silver ones are for Admin, but could also be for Heer. I have seen the Luft ones as well, but have never found any in mint condition, but would like to add one.
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                          KM Line Officer - Luftwaffe parade - KM Line Officer
                          Now that's a stunning sight to behold. I also see no side shields.
                          Great Pith's. Thanks for showing these, shed's a lot of light for me on these insignia and how they were used.
                          Dave

Comment

The white pith with the gold eagle on the front was for Kriegsmarine line officers. On u-boats the captain of the boat wore the white helmet with the gold eagle on the front, and other members of the crew wore the standard tan KM pith with shields on the side, nothing on the front.

The white pith with the silver eagle on the front was for Kriegsmarine admin.

Neither of the above wore shields on the side of the helmet in addition to the eagle on the front. I have heard that the silver eagles were possibly used by the army as well, and that in some cases they combined the front eagle with the shields on the side. So far I have not seen photographic evidence of this.

There was a white pith with silver eagle on the front, and heer shields on the side, for sale on the e-stand a few weeks ago.

Comment

Thanks Buff, for the info on these, it's very helpful. I have some hunting to do now, but at least I know what I'm looking for now.
                              Thanks again
                              Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X