KM metal breast eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try this: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...all%27s+photos

Though I really do strive and hope to do better one day!
    Tim

Comment

Hi Andy,

Was the above link helpful at all?

Tim

Comment

Yes
        I should try it but i am not 100% good in photoshop

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
          Yes
          Originally posted by AndyC View Post
          I should try it but i am not 100% good in photoshop

Andy

Andy,

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall...practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

If you get into trouble or need some details later on, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you work through them.

Good luck!
          Tim

Comment

I got the eagle today. It got 2 of three prongs left and 3 layers of cloth.
            I'm pretty sure it's original.

Comment

From the Obverse, this shares a lot of similar characteristics of the (Triangle M) watermark Breast eagle. I haven't come across this pin set up though? It reminds me of a Hat eagle with the rounded pin back and the missing retaining pin which is missing from yours but seems to be present?
              It does not conform to the Pith helmet eagle either?
              I am just sharing some observations/questions.
              This is an interesting piece. I would love to hear what others have to say.

Regards,
              JustinG

Here are some shots of the (M) version eagle I have.
              Attached Files

Comment

A question is still here

Were is this eagle used?

Its much easier to use a standard summer eagle with a pin instead of this one on a summer tunic

Anyone who knows?

Andy

Comment

Well, I'm not into uniforms so I can't say on the backing material but, has anyone seen this type material before? Mine is actually mounted to a felt type material backing like that seen on campaign shields.

Not saying it's incorrect, as the KM had a wide variety of uniforms/material; just that I have not seen this blue type denim material before.

The eagle is interesting as well and again, a new style on me. Interesting, the way the beak has that overlap on the end. The pins are odd for a breast eagle and reminiscent more of a cap eagle.

Remember, these metal breast eagles would normally have been attached to the uniform using the same loop system as they utilized for awards. So, one would think if an eagle had been modified with a cloth backing in order to be sewn to a uniform, the basic setup would have been the same and only removed. So..., I don't know what to think in this case with these "pins"?

By chance, is there a maker mark on the reverse side of the eagle?

In closing, I want to say that I do really like the details on this eagle; the head, talons and detailed pebbling behind the swastika tell me we are looking at an original period item and the way that beak is shaped sort of reminds me of those Narvik shields attributed to Juncker. Hard to say at this point though. Many thanks for sharing this one and I hope more comes to light.

Tim

Comment

I am with you on this Tim it has very good details

Andy

Comment

Justin,

On your "Maedicke" eagle, is the reverse hardware with the wide flat pin or the round pin?

I'm looking for my file PIC's of the one I have but can't readily find then at the moment. It's the one I showed earlier in the group shot (post #13; top eagle).

Tim

Thought I would add this link: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=KM+eagles

My Maedicke has the round type needle pin.
                      Last edited by Tim B.; 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Not the best PIC and I can't find the reverse shot, so maybe I need to dig a bit more or reshoot my eagles at this point.

Anyway, here is the one I have with the cloth backing and you can see the material is more what I would expect. Then again, I still believe we have not seen everything either.

Tim
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tim B,

I just so happen to have both flat pin and round pin versions. Here they are.
                          Notice that my version of the flat pin has been vaulted.

Regards,
                          JustinG
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would add some more PIC's to the thread for reference.

Here's a couple more of the example I have with cloth backing. So, what do you think of this one compared to the one that started this thread (Farradin's)? Look almost identical to me.

Tim
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice bird Tim

Andy

Comment

Here's some shots of my marked Maedicke with the round pin.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X