Scharnhorst Tally on ebay.de

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scharnhorst Tally on ebay.de

I think the sellers got this baby wrong??

http://cgi.ebay.de/Orig-Kriegsmarine...item5d2a509542

opinions?

Hi Justin,

Hard to say, the pictures are so terrible. It looks blue, sort of like a sweetheart tally, but I can't tell if that's just a lousy camera...

Otherwise the construction looks pretty good, only wrinkled like it's been through the wash. It's got the proper symmetrical end lengths.

Could you ask the seller for better pics and the length?

Cheers.
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

This one puzzles me a bit. Something seems a bit off though, I am posting pictures of my MF version. This is just so I can see in comparison. (Edit after posting: I think this might be a good one. The coloring could be a sweetheart tally as stated above, the pictures shown are pretty poor quality but, I think this might be a good cotton specimen)

I too, wish that the photo was better.
      Seems like the price is still reasonable; I am tempted to put a bid on just to have it in hand and have a better inspection.

Not usually the typical Belfast fake we see with other Scharnhorst examples? Hmmmm.

Regards gentlemen,
      JustinG
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JustinG; 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM. Reason: after evaluation with other cotton woven muetzenbands

Comment

OK, Now that the auction has ended, anyone here a winner?

Hope it is a member so we can perhaps have a better look.

Best Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

This is a 100% original cotton tally.

As I have explained many times, if it has equal lengths, at least 110 cms, it is original assuming it has this type of thread and appearance.

If it is cut to just the name or if it has unequal lengths and is around 100 cms, it is a fake. The Belfast fake I have talked about before.

Bottom line, if it is cut to the name or has unequal lengths, you take a pass. It is possible cut cotton Scharnhorst tallies (down to the name) are original, but you would still take a pass since it would be impossible to tell if it was a fake or not.

An ebay listing just listed today and with a fake Scharnhorst on a cap also shows you can encounter the fake on a cap. Of course, the giveaway is that there is only one tail of the tally hanging down. The listing disappered today so maybe somebody said something.

OK, so you can see what I am talking about from a collection in Germany. The top tally is the Belfast fake. Short on one end.

The bottom two are period cotton Scharnhort tallies. Even ends, 110 cms or so.

As you can readily see, if cut down to just the name, you could not tell the difference.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Well I have a Metal woven example now, at least i know this baby is good!! Its also at approx 150cm long, with even sides

Reference -

Cheers

JustinC
            Attached Files

Comment

Great tally and pick up Justin.

Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

Yep nice one Justin, congratz

Comment

Is this the one that just sold on ebay for 70 euros Justin? If so, great price and in any case, great tally. This is worth much more than the sales price. John

Comment

Yes thats right John, i was very happy with the score myself, Bargain!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X