Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical helmet KM badge

Hello
    does somebody have ever seen a such badge for KM tropical helmet.
    It has been found by digging in the east of FRANCE and is very tight (Thickness 1/2 mm).
    Regards
    J-Mi

Hi J-Mi,

It looks like a typical KM eagle shield worn on the side of the pith helmet; On the other side of the helmet would be the tri-colour shield.

Surprisingly good condition for something dug up after 69 years...I'm not sure how that's possible?

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Hi, that is in good condition, made by GB, I have a 41 and a 42 by them. This maker has a distinctive shape to the eagles head. Km shields are less common than heer or luft.

Jerry

Comment

hi
        this insignia was with some other stuff around a bunker into some trash with stones and bricks above, that why it is on a good condition.
        So what is GB?
        j-mi

Comment

KM Shield

Hello,
          The shield is 100% good.

Jody

Comment

Hello
            Justin, the aim of this topic is to know what kind of insignia it was, because I have never seen a such one. I don't need to glorify myself for a such object.
            But you could be surprised to see what we can find after 65 years into the ground...and as you can see on the attached picture, there is again some french ground under the tie...
            So far, thank you for the identification.
            Regards
            J-Mi

Comment

GB also made the oversize eagle for the tropical hat
              Attached Files
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

To J-Mi

This insignia is a good specimen. I was simply commenting that there have been several new members and some older ones as well who have peddled some fantastic stories of items they "found" or acquired from some veteran or widow who had no idea and was getting rid of it.
                There are still some nice relics, of course, this shield in this condition is far from "relic" quality which is why, at least for myself, my radar immediately goes up and am highly suspect of the piece(s) being presented.
                Sometimes the story is hard to swallow in many of the cases.
                This is why I posted my previous comment.
                This was not meant as a personal attack or insult; just by looking at the many sub-forums, you will notice that there are several people who insist that they picked up some items direct from a veteran or a veteran's family or some other miraculous finding that allowed them to obtain some artifact and the results are usually someone peddling a forgery/fake.
                As I said, your pith helmet shield is good. It is in extremely good condition. Just by typing in a search function and seeing what relic condition is, should let you see why I have my doubts with the story.
                Not yet having the privilege to tour France and see the bunkers and such from the 2nd world war, can you tour them? Are they able to be accessed by anyone at any time?
                I ask because even here in America (Alaska) they don't let people enter the bunkers and pilboxes from when the Japanese occupied Attu and Kiska in the Aleutian islands? There are locks and access is forbidden. Kind of lousy as you can't get a tour or see them at all.

"Evaluate the item, not the story."
                A saying I find grows more true as time continues.

Regards,
                JustinG

Here are some edelweiss which have the G.B and year maker.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JustinG; 04-19-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X