X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't comment on the hat or tally but the photography is stunning.Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim,

Here are some more pics, i hope these help, Justin.
      As you can see there's a piece of tally added to get more length.

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Eduardo.
            Unfortunately, post-war cap, reproduction tally. This tally is the HMS Belfast gift shop tally described before several times.
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=320
            As expected it has a short left end -- that's why someone had to sew another length of ribbon on to it...
            Also there is discordance between the shiny new eagle and the weathered cockade in the one-piece insignia suggesting even this has been messed with. I'm afraid nobody can call this a wartime cap -- definitely put together.
            Best regards,
            ---Norm
            P.S. Thanks for posting such detailed photos. They make a good reference for this type of reproduction.

Comment

Sorry, I agree with Norm, This is the HMS Belfast tally. I thought it might have the shortened left side.
              Great photos though.

Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

Thanks a lot, also to Lexy for the nice pictures !!! This cap is mine, but not for long I'am afraid, today I bring it back.

Comment

Im sorry its fake mate, at least you know for sure now.

Thanks to the guys here, your help is much appriciated.

BTW, supposed it was the real deal, i guess it would be a real rare bugger or am i mistaken? The price would be skyhigh to i can imagen?

Comment

You can check on the net what dealers are charging these days for genuine wartime Matrosenmützen.
                    Which tally is on it would make a difference to the price since some are more valuable than others (based not necessarily on rarity so much as current interest). However, just because a good rare tally sits on a genuine cap shouldn't make the cap worth any more than the sum of it's components unless you have iron-clad provenance for the item since it's easy for someone to put together whatever combination they want after the fact and claim it was original.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Late to this thread. I also cannot comment on the cap. The ones I like have the red nametag in them of the period. Otherwise, who knows.

The tally could be OK. It is not uncommon for a tally to have ends sewn on them. As I have mentioned before, snipping the ends of some shore bound sailor was done commonly by the leading petty officers if the tally was longer than regulation length.

Unfortunately, we can't be sure in this case so the advice given was correct and for you to take a pass. I would prefer to see both ends snipped, not just one, with two extensions.

Since the Scharnhorst fake has uneven ends, you can't go with this one for the reasons stated.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X