KM cap tally opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM cap tally opinions

I obtained these among a Cdn veteran's estate lot of souvenirs. I have no expertise in this area and would really appreciate some comments. I am a helmet collector so will likely move them along, but I would like to be able to describe them accurately. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-frank
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Both are original, they are from the period 1914-1932, certainly not Kriegsmarine however. I will do a little research and get back to you with the exact timeframe for these muetzenbander (cap tallies).

The first is cotton, the second gold wire.

John
      Last edited by John R.; 05-18-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks John- Could this then be a tally from the actual airship "Hindenburg"? Do you know if the crew wore this style of insignia? I had assumed KM history because of the "seemannsschule" tally referring to their tall ship training program.

Comment

The script, Latin of course, is for the period prior to 1933 after which a certain type of Gothic script was established. This script existed for a few years after the war in the Bundesmarine, and can cause problems, but was changed in 1960 when a form of the Latin style was reinstituted. However, your tallies are not Kriegsmarine or post 1945. they are prior to 1933.

I do not want to guess on the Hindenburg tally, I will find out though. Will take a couple days. John

Comment

OK, I will guess, but I will check with the experts in Germany over the next few days.

Your Hindenburg tally should read "S.M.S. HINDENBURG", a warship, not the airship, and is from the period prior to 1919. Unfortunately, it has been cut to read only "S. HINDENBURG" .

I also think the other tally is a school tally from WWI.

Like I said, I will check.

John

Comment

The gold script represents technical topside personnel, silver, engineers.

For background information on SMS Hindenburg go to:

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/battlecru...indenburg.html

Comment

This is what a normal Imperial tally, in gold, should look like. Tally courtesy of Jeff V.'s collection.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John R.; 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Silver Latin font, WWI. Again, Jeff's collection. John
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting information John- Thanks very much!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X