10th degree Navy Lanyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10th degree Navy Lanyard

Attached are some pics of an unauthenticated 10th degree Navy Lanyard. The only pics I've seen of these are black and white and this forum no longer has any pics available in older threads. As you can see the braided material is royal blue as opposed to a navy blue color. The shield is bright. Acorn appears good to me (IMO). There is no liner on the reverse. Can anyone comment on this? As always your opinions are highly valued!

Lanyards seem to be difficult to research.
    Last edited by Demianthedog; 03-12-2006, 03:15 PM.

Acorn

Comment

Full length

Comment

Reverse of badge

Comment

another badge view

Comment

Hmmmm

Anyone have a period photo or a picture of their 9th degree navy lanyard?

Comment

I am embarrassed to do so, but still must ask...

Is this a markmanship lanyard or did it represent some other specific distinction?

Thanks!

Joe

Comment

Never a dumb question!

It is indeed a marksmanship lanyard. My understanding is that the 1-4 grades were simply a lanyard without the badge, the 5-8 grades utilized a silver badge and the 9-12 had a golden badge. Unfortunately I'm not finding much information, I know there are some publications but I haven't found any of these.

Comment

???

Why are lanyard so tough?

Comment

This information is on page 129 of Die Kriegsmarine: Uniforms & Traditions Vol 2.

" There were four grades, each distinguished by the color of the metal used for the devices, and for the fourth grade, by a gold medallion affixed to the rosette. The grades were as follows:
                    1st grade: Device of black metal
                    2nd grade: Device of silver metal
                    3rd grade: Device of gilt metal
                    4th grade: Device of gilt metal; additionally, a gilt medallion affixed to the rosett.
                    The madallion of the foourth grade depicted a fouled anchor with an oval rope-like surround on a field inside a full laurel leaf
                    wreath (after 1935 an oakleaf wreath). It measured 4.7cm high and 4.1cm wide.
                    The add-on devices and the make of the cords represented the various groups of performance as follows:
                    A. Rifle and machine gunners: An acorn of 3.5cm in lenght and 1.3cm diameter, with one circular groove for performance with the light machine gun, and two grooves for heavy machine guns; blue cord.
                    B. Light anti-aircraft gunners and observers:
                    A winged shell of 3cm in lenght and 1.5cm in diameter; blue cord.
                    C. Chief of gun crews: A 3-3.3cm long shell of 1.3-1.5cm diameter; cords intertwined blue and aluminum. Chiefs of anti-aircraft gun crews: a winged shell by order (NTB 39. No266 V1) dated 6 November 1939.
                    D. Torpedo gunners: A 5cm long torpedo of 1cm diameter cords intertwined blue and aluminum.
                    Lanyards and devices could be mixed in various ways according to grades and groups of performance. Two such examples are:
                    E. 1st grade with rifle, 2nd grade as gun chief and 1st grade as torpedo gunner: Cords intertwined blue and aluminum with black acorn, silvered shell and black torpedo.
                    F. 4th grade with rifle, 3rd grade as gun chief and 2nd grade for light AA guns: Interwoven cords with gold medallion affixed to rosette; add-on devices consisting of gold acorn and shell and silver winged shell. "

I hope this helps. It confuses the hell out of me but I have seen ones like yours sell for around $300.

Bruce

Comment

# 1
                      Attached Files

Comment

# 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

# 3
                          Attached Files

Comment

I also should mention the gold medallion was affixed to the rosette with heavy thread in several places as no mounting prongs were provided.

Bruce.

Comment

My sincerest gratitude

Thank you Bruce, that is the most informative bit of information I've encountered to date! Albeit a bit confusing. I should get these reference books! Thanks again!!!!!!
                              Last edited by Demianthedog; 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X