Hungarian WWII Helmet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hungarian WWII Helmet Question

I remember when a WWII Hungarian helmet was a very desirable item. I am aware of the find of helmets that has been reissued, I believe from Finland. Does an original WWII Hungarian helmet, with the WWII insignia, on the side, still have any value?

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

As far as I remember original WW2 hungarian army helmets never had decals on the sides.

Comment

It looks more like a stencil than a decal. I have attached a photo.

Bob Hritz
      Attached Files

Comment

Not an official insignia IMHO. Probably a field made one made locally by some sort of unit.
        The rivet looks also a bit odd. Repaired, maybe?

Comment

I think this must be some kind of a reissued helmet, nor the colour neither the rivet is wwII Hungarian.
          The strandard army helmet, never had any decals,
          only office related air/civil defense ones had some!

Like this one for Budapest Székesfőváros Elektromos Művek (Elecricity Works of Capital Budapest)
          and the second for M. Kir. Posta (Royal Hungarian Post)

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
          It looks more like a stencil than a decal. I have attached a photo.

Bob Hritz
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some photos of the helmet. Unfortunately, the liner is damaged. I appreciate all your assistance.

Bob Hritz
            Attached Files

Comment

liner and strap
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm 90% certain it's a Finnish rebuild, probably post-WWII. The liner is not the Hungarian M-38. Finland purchased helmets in the 1950's from Germany that had this pattern liner (the vent holes across the forehead). At some time in it's life it probably had the post-WWII liner added for use in Civil Defense.

Eric

Comment

As a matter of fact:

http://translate.google.com/translat....htm&edit-text=

Near the bottom of the page is a picture of the liner of one of these German made helmets with the post-war liner sold to Finland by Germany.

And there is a picture of this pattern liner in Finnish helmets in "Steel Helmet in the Finnish Defense Forces" by Lt. Col. Stig Roudasmaa.

Comment

Thank you all. I thought the stencil Hungarian emblem, on the side, might indicate Hungarian WWII use. I guess it is another of the plethora of reissued helmets of little interest.

Thank you, again,
                    Bob Hritz

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
                      I'm 90% certain it's a Finnish rebuild, probably post-WWII. The liner is not the Hungarian M-38. Finland purchased helmets in the 1950's from Germany that had this pattern liner (the vent holes across the forehead). At some time in it's life it probably had the post-WWII liner added for use in Civil Defense.

Eric
                      I agree with this opinion.PaoloM

Comment

Finnish IR 47 unit insignia

Hi,

The helmet is a finnish used M38-helmet with post-war liner and two extra rivets to shell. What is interesting it still has remains of finnish army infantry regiment 47 batallion insignia from 1941-44 period. It has outline of main church of Helsinki. Batallions were formed from Helsinki area and third batallion was named as Vallila batallion and that insignia is called so. What is interesting it has clearly roman number II for second batallion?

Any finnish helmet with unit insignia can be considered rare.

Thanks for showing it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X