Mussolini's Body Guard Medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mussolini's Body Guard Medal?

I throw myself at the mercy of the more learned forum members as this item is so far removed from my normal theme as to be out of sight!

I have been offered this medal as part of a large group purchase:
    http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_0454.jpg
    http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_0456.jpg

The seller is 87 years old and his father served in WW1 (I have already purchased the father's WW1 group of medals). According to the son, his father served as part of the Italian equivalent of the Liebstandarte from what I can make out and this medal was awarded for that service.

Can any forum members give me an idea or background to this medal and what sort of value as I want to be fair in my offering. Is it scarce?

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Interesting. Never heard of it. Here it is in the actual thread. MVSN marked on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by skypilot View Post
      . ...According to the son, his father served as part of the Italian equivalent of the Liebstandarte from what I can make out and this medal was awarded for that service.

Can any forum members give me an idea or background to this medal and what sort of value as I want to be fair in my offering. Is it scarce?

Any pointers very much appreciated.
      it is correct , moschettieri del duce was a team initially composed by 30 guys as Duce boyguards, but this team increase till reach 180 "soldiers", before starting the second war. these guys were not always in service,only when necessary, due to the team was composed by retired Army Officiers, VIP as Lawyers/free-lance/politics etc.. The Moschettieri guards becomes somethings similar to the actual ,I can say.."Pope Swiss Guard", with more as representative units. Due to it was an elite unit everything belong to them as medals,uniforms etc ..it is expensive and scarce to find, the prices ......
      ciao

Comment

Its a cool find. So confirmed indeed related to the bodyguard unit of the Duce!
        I am posting the back of skypilot's find just in case photobucket link disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          Its a cool find. So confirmed indeed related to the bodyguard unit of the Duce!
          I am posting the back of skypilot's find just in case photobucket link disappears.

In this side is writeen how il Duce use to consider this elite : "moschettieri , silents and faithfuls" in italian it sound as a rhyme, moschettieri silenziosi e fedeli...
          Andrea

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, very much appreciated.

Andrea - is there a known list of those who served in the unit?

Comment

Originally posted by skypilot View Post
              Thank you gentlemen, very much appreciated.

Andrea - is there a known list of those who served in the unit?
              I never heard about a list, and if it there was probably ,i suppose it has been deleted before end of war.
              Andrea

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X