Pre-WWII Bulgarian "Sport" Pilot Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-WWII Bulgarian "Sport" Pilot Wing

From my searches, this wing looks like an authentic, period piece, but I know good repros exist (these are the only photos I have).

Any opinions on the authenticity of this wing and what the markings on the reverse might represent?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Is it silver? According to some knowledgeable people that I have talked to, silver means bad for that badge. And I dislike the lack of details here and there. I may be wrong, but do not like it.

The date on the back would be probably the date the pilot earned it. It was not a regulation, but rarely some pilots would scratch the date or a name.

Generally about this wing type, it is not Sport. It is as military as possible. After WW1 Bulgaria was restricted to have Air Force, so it existed secretly, the pilots received a modest eagle badge after basic training and the 1916 model badge after the end of the full course.

In 1937 the post-WW1 restrictions finally dropped and the Air Force was officially recognized as a branch of the Armed Forces. The King gave battle flags to the new Air Force units and became a Supreme Commander of the Air Force. And exactly about that time his symbol, his letter landed on the eagle badge. The Eagle with letter B replaced the old, plain eagle. It was an Air Force badge.

Did you read this page? http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/bulgar...riapilot.shtml Meant to be a reference, it could be a great reference indeed, but unfortunately spreads incorrect information, at least about Bulgaria. This badge is NOT sport! And the pilot badge with crown removed is NOT retired pilot, there is no such bird like "retired pilot" in the Bulgaria AF! After 1944 the commies came to power and that is when the crowns were removed on many badges. But there is NO such thing like retired pilot badge!
    The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Thank you Theodor. Yes, I had seen the website you mention, so I thought silver wings were awarded, and I had seen the term Sport Pilot used someplace else. My research appears to be lacking -- I will pass on this wing.

Thanks again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X