Italian pith, opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian pith, opinions please

I'm sure this is right and just thought I'd post it as I got a new camera today.
    The badge looks more worn than the pith and was added to it, as it had no badge. I think the badge is colonial rifles, but I'm not certain, so any thoughts?

Thanks and merry xmas to all, JerryBB
    Attached Files

and one of the underside

thanks again, JerryBB
    Attached Files

Comment

one from the other side

thanks, JerryBB
      Attached Files

Comment

The badge is for the Infantry School. The tropical M.28 helmet is the second
        version with khaki cloth inside.PaoloM

Comment

Thanks

Hi Paolo, thanks for the info. Infantry school badge, was there only one infantry school?
          So the pith is a m1928 and it's the second version, thanks for that.
          Do you know if there was a version of this helmet that was identical, except without the plume holder?
          JerryBB

Comment

The cross inside the circle indicates the school.There were several infantry
            schools.The feathers' holder (Bersaglieri) on the right side of the tropical
            helmet M.28, was always present, even unused.Some one can have been taken away, but generally you can find this holder in every Italian M.28 topee.The 1st model was only different because
            with green cloth inside.
            PaoloM

Comment

Also?

I have one which appears to have never had a plume holder, bit is otherwise identical. It has some green ink stamps inside, one of which is the size. It also has a pair of Kriegsmarine tropical helmet shields. These are the theater made type, with no pebbling and pointy shields and they are also thicker than the usual KM examples, but have no borders.
              I have seen a photo of a green lined example with the same KM shields and no plume holder (p398 of Ken N.'s new helmet book). Do you know if these were made for the KM, these examples without plume holders?

Thanks, JerryBB
              Attached Files

Comment

again

A close up, you can see it never had a plume holder and the one in Ken N.'s book is even clearer as the shield is placed higher up on the side.
                Thanks, JerryBB
                Attached Files

Comment

Believe me. Every M.28 tropical helmet was born with right side feathers'
                  holder.The one shown has the feathers' pocket detached.PaoloM
                  PS:occasionally these topees have been issued to the nazis (i.e.: KM)

Comment

Thanks for your info and I can only assume that these piths had their plume holders removed when being issued to the KM.

JerryBB

Comment

I realily the holder born for the feathers of Cacciatori Africa in the far 1889, for tradiction this optional survive as far the m.29, lot of corps was in East and North Africa but only fews Bersaglieri, the most famous regiment of Bersaglieri was the 8 but was in north Africa only in the jen. of 41.

Yes Jerry exist m.29 borns without feathers holder, that was for italian Royal Air forces.

Comment

Thanks Lafitte, for that extra bit of information.
                        Jerry

Comment

According to the jointed photos in this thread, we were talking about the M.28 tropical helmet. In the M.28 the right side pocket was for the Bersaglieri feathers. Seen a lot of M.28s of the R. Air Force also with 'unused'
                          right side pockets.One could also cut the stitches and take away the pocket,but these were issued with.PaoloM

PS:Oh, I forgot;Bersaglieri in Africa:
                          http://digilander.libero.it/avantisa...n%20Africa.htm
                          Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X