GIL Leader's Dagger Souvenir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIL Leader's Dagger Souvenir

I developed an interest in Italian militaria while attending the SOS this year. One of my recent purchases is this dagger which, to me in my limited knowledge and even more limited resources, appears to be a GIL Leader's dagger. Thanks to this forum's esteemed moderator Raffaello, I have been enlighted and would like to share with forum.

First the dagger:
    Attached Files

el otro lado

The eagles head pommel with mouth agape and the blade characteristics convinced me this was in fact a GIL related dagger. The wooden grip painted white and the fancy engraved ring seems to indicate a "leader's" dagger. The painted eyes were dubious to me but could have been done post war.
    Attached Files

Comment

Research..

Rafaello's research uncovered that this is in fact a wartime US soldier's souvenir parts dagger. I still think it's pretty cool, so it stays in my collection as a souvenir. Without Rafaello's help I would have never known. Just wanted to share my experience.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jim,

thanks for sharing, strange history for this souvenir dagger in the 1944
        in Naples (my city) the U.S. sodiers are very hunting hungry of fascist
        daggers the neapolitan peoples create an real commerce of fascist militaria
        and after the continuos request and the difficult to find fascist daggers; create
        this fantasy dagger souvenir with the grip of the Regia Aereonautica sword
        (see photos comparison) with various type of blades part of sword/bayonet/youth
        GIL blade with scabbard in leather.
        The book of Cesare Calamandrei "History of italian blades", exist two opinion
        about this one, is an wartime repro (I confirm this) another of Rudy D'Angelo
        of an original late war GIL leader dagger.
        I see in the past more daggers of this type and the common opinion of more
        blades collectors is an wartime repro confirmed by Turco Brothers factory
        the most important fascist blades factory WW2 in Naples.
        I have attached the book scan of Calamandrei
        all the best
        Raffaello
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Raffaello Carola; 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM.
        "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

two swords of Regia Aereonautica note the grip (Calamandrei book)
          Attached Files
          "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

My opinion is the one of Rudy's.Here jointed two photos courtesy of R.A. D'Angelo: Cheers, PaoloM
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 04-01-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

These wonderful daggers originated mainly from the following issue swords:
              Attached Files

Comment

And this one that I tried to buy some months ago:
                Attached Files

Comment

unmarked:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Paolo,

Thank you for the additional pictures of the Regia Aereonautica swords.

So there are two schools of thought and you believe that the dagger is actually a GIL leader's?

I would like to believe this myself however, I have not been successful finding a period picture of the dagger in wear. My resources are limited to the internet at this time, I have no books on the subject.

The only two books available to me are:

Le Divise Del Duce by Ugo Pericoli
                    Italiani Tutti In Divisa by Ermanno Albertelli Editore

These are terrific resources but mostly illustrations lacking clear photographs.

I would like to hear other opinions, perhaps start a poll, the results would be interesting.

Thank you Paolo and Raffaello

Comment

Unfortunately there's no photographic evidence on these daggers, as previously said. Some of these daggers, have been refurbished in Neaples
                      for the Allied troops as souvenir items, but some studies have been made
                      on monographic articles published in the years,stating that nobody can't exclude a different use.The matter needs an accurate search among the photos of the time. Bye, PaoloM

Comment

I know this is an old thread , but I just spotted it. I would like to add my two daggers to it. I have had many other variations of these in the past
                        Attached Files

Comment

backside
                          Attached Files

Comment

Variation made by Horster ( I believe only the blade) with white handle and bowie type blade.
                            Attached Files

Comment

another photo
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Dennis S; 03-23-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X