Cavalry Shoulder Boards - Opinion needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavalry Shoulder Boards - Opinion needed

Had these for a while....and had no issues with them.

Someone is telling me they are fake, as the silver braid does not pass his UV light test.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by harrison987; 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM.

Shoulder straps

They bear no resemblance to any to standard pattern Heer shoulder straps that I have ever seen. This is in both materials and construction. The black light UV test is not an absolute in determining originality either.

Comment

Nyet

They are a fantasy combination of HBT material and wool in a nonexistent style of shoulder strap!

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I can see a tailor make something like that...(non textbook)
          They were tied together for a long time as an unissued set...
          (real or not)
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Bogus/ Fantasy straps to me. Non period construction and materials.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
              Hello,

Bogus/ Fantasy straps to me. Non period construction and materials.

Fred
              Fred, what happened to your magical powers and optimistic thinking? Collecting is much easier if you subscribe to the pixie dust theory.

Comment

You could also approach the anomaly this way:
                Why fake something which, based on the chosen materials, would make people frown if it could have been made more textbook?
                How many of these have we seen before? or a very limited run fake? Does that economically even make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                  You could also approach the anomaly this way:
                  Why fake something which, based on the chosen materials, would make people frown if it could have been made more textbook?
                  How many of these have we seen before? or a very limited run fake? Does that economically even make sense?
                  Who says it was made to deceive - lots of these things were made after the war for many reasons.

If we accept most everything as original period piece, just because there is a remote possibility, we might as well give up collecting the good stuff and start hording crap.

Comment

boards

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                    Who says it was made to deceive - lots of these things were made after the war for many reasons.

If we accept most everything as original period piece, just because there is a remote possibility, we might as well give up collecting the good stuff and start hording crap.

Comment

and yes that is a fair statement...non text book is always risky...and should be avoided most of the time. It's just a comment that tailor made/foreign pieces can make it tricky!

Comment

I believe italian tailors made custom things for German soldiers...but to approve these we would need some solid or photographic evidence. Evidence is the word.

Carles

Comment

Hello,

The German soldiers had custom stuff made in all of the countries that they were in. These just defy all odds.

It is my belief and understanding that HBT straps were Luftwaffe not Army, so these would be Flight. They are absolutely mint and have the thread sewing down the tress glow like everything They use non-standard materials, and nonstandard construction. I can get a pair of straps wet, tie them up and let them dry and they would look like they have been together for 70 years.

Using basic reasoning I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot pole.

Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X