No announcement yet.

DAK NCO and sanitats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should probably be noted that the North African theater, with intermittent supply and support due to the extreme mobility of combat formations and the interception of Axis supply ships resulted in the inability to maintain dress regulations to the letter. These circumstances also resulted in the wear of enemy uniform items. While perhaps there was a higher incidence of the omission of collar tress in N.Africa I still think you will find it present on the majority of NCOs in period photographs.

Comment

ja

I agree with OSS's assessment and would add that in a theater where shirt sleeve order was common it was the shoulder strap or board that was most important regardless of collar Tresse being present or not.

Comment

I agree with OSS as well. I recently, during a move, came across all my DAK Photo Books (some dating way back to the 70s) and enjoyed going through them.

And then there are the DAK NCO tunics in the older collections, dating back to the 50s.
        Last edited by Willi Z.; 06-27-2017, 06:35 AM.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here is a direct bring back souvenir from a veteran who served in the ‘American Field Service’ with the British 8th Army prior to the US invasion of North Africa.

B. N. Singer
          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

That is a great example. Thanx for sharing. J

Comment

Think the timing is important to this question. When the DAK arrived in Afrika would say that just about every NCO would have both tresse and straps. But as time went on especially in mid to late '42 it was very difficult to get any clothing supplies. So NCO's with straps but no tresse on the collar would be much more common as Nick's photos demonstrate. (the photos are all late '41 or 1942)

& Mr Singer that is an oustanding tunic, with Lt blue piping on the straps ?

Comment

It would appear that we have a "Hung Jury" or maybe a split decision as they say in the boxing world. Now, everyone go and record what you see in every photo you own and every picture you've ever seen and report back to me by 1800 so I can tally the votes and declare a winner! Obviously, I jest.

I think none of you are 100% right, but all of you are partially right! I think we'd mostly agree that in the beginning of the Africa Campaign, most fellows would appear "by the book". However, as time went on, the operational and tactical situation evolved, and the supply situation was diminished as LOCs were dealt a blow, standards of uniform and equipment also changed.

As this photo, in a book many of us have, shows, Soldaten are getting new uniforms. I'd gamble, much like afrikasandman and Tim O would, that Feldwebeln would grab a new bluse, ditch the old one and retain his straps. Some would find tresse.

Just my zwei pfennig!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo, you betcha' would take that bet Dan

While looking for something else found this photo in my files of a 1st pattern tropical tunic with the shortened LW tresse used on its collar and straps.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                      Nice photo, you betcha' would take that bet Dan

While looking for something else found this photo in my files of a 1st pattern tropical tunic with the shortened LW tresse used on its collar and straps.
                      WOW! Terrific variation; a great addition to this thread!

Comment

Here is another I owned formerly, partial metallic collar tresse (and worn with tropical overcoat shoulder straps). Apologies for the ghastly quality, it is a scan of an old damaged print. I believe this one belongs to another form member now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'd have to agree with Dan (Drempfer) that soldiers would use their straps from a previous tunic (or coat as needs prevailed) when issued a new one. I've attached an image of a 1942 dated 1st pattern with the owners original straps from an earlier tunic which clearly show sun wear/fading, as well as his own sewing of the cross-bar NCO tress when he advanced up the rank. He also sewed on the tress about the collar of the newly issued tunic. The owner wore this combination into captivity in 1943.
                          Regards,
                          Mark.
                          NZ
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X